First Impressions


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
March 16th 2011
Published: March 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We reached Gatwick just after eight, exhilarated despite minimal sleep. After a couple of awkward hugs with our dissapointingly unteary-eyed families - we said our farewells and the day began as arranged with a Full English from J.D's, followed by the first pint of the trip (as she was last to appear it was Gina's round). The plane left on schedule at quarter to eleven and I appreciated my last view of England with a complimentary beverage - and several moderately dull hours succeeded (the climax of the journey being Chris and Chutney's glory on Deal or No Deal), until we reached our destination, five hours of Pokémon and a few mini beers later.

We wandered around Delhi airport (probably the dullest place on earth) towards Exit Gate 2, where our driver was waiting for us. He/she wasn't there, and there we were, lost in the capital, with just a backpack and hardly any Rupees to our names.

We jumped in a few cabs (Chutney and Gina's driver was smoking a spliff) and encountered for the first time the utter nonsense that was Indian roads - they are beyond crazy - other than beeping and hoping that the other fella' moves out of the way (I say 'fella'' because i soon came to learn women don't drive here. Fact) there is no road code. On our Capital Tour the following day, the cabbie inspired little confidence, reversing into a road sign as he exited the tourist centre. The driver acknowleded this with a chuckle.

Soon, I began to realise it to be a somewhat organised monstrosity (although that may be the free alcohol talking) and we advanced relatively relaxed untill we reached Borim. With no idea of how near/far away from the hotel we were - and our driver becoming progressively angry - we jumped out and began to walk the homeless animal infested, litter exhausted roads before, by our good fortune, our hotel was discovered.

With Chutney and Gina yet to arrive, we were escorted to our room - comprising of one double bed. We remarked we booked a room for four people, the fella' went out only to come back with another pillow, soon placed between the previous two, stating the room was now a 'triple deluxe' room. In reality, the hotel was overbooked - and we were chucked in a single room. Things got a bit cosy as three of us shared a double bed, whilst Chutney rejoiced in the bliss of a sheet and a concrete floor. ('Rock, paper, scissors' - no complaints)

Namasta India!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb