Northern Adventures


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
November 3rd 2009
Published: November 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This story is really told best through pictures, (and I have finally achieved an upload!) but words will be a nice supplement.

Darjeeling proved to be a land of creature comforts and cool weather; a completely different world from the India Lauren and I have experienced up to our point of arrival. One very long and hot overnight train and one three-hour bumpy, winding, and crowded jeep ride was all it took to deliver us to the doorstep of the Himalayas. It was quite the journey, but very worth it. We spent about 3 days exploring Darjeeling with our newest travel buddy Omri, (who we now consider our pseudo-little brother.) It is a truly charming place and very popular stop on the backpacking circuit. I even learned that the Ducks "squelched" USC from a guy in his 70's who was sitting next to me at the internet cafe. Turns out he's a former Duck too; small word, eh?

The highlight of our adventures in the North was our 5 day trek on the Singalila Ridge. It was really, really incredible and luckily only got better as the days progressed; days 4 and 5 were truly spectacular. This definitely wasn't the easiest hike I've been on, nor were the accommodations along the way everything we dreamed of for the cold nights after long days of some major physical exertion. All in all however, it was an awesome experience. Perhaps made all the more awesome by those challenges we overcame along the way.

In all honesty, it wasn't like we were climbing Everest or anything. (We did get to see it though!) But we did finish with a great sense of accomplishment, some very sore muscles, hundreds of priceless photos, and some serious cravings after having porridge for breakfast, ramen for lunch, and veg dal and rice for dinner almost every day of the journey. Our schedule had to be altered slightly as we decided to hike the trail starting on the same day as the great 100km Himalayan Race. There were people from all over the world RUNNING this trail. Absolutely incredible to think that people race this thing. The oldest contestant was 69 years old. What. a. stud.

We made it back to Darjeeling safe and sound, and found a hotel that had hot water and semi-soft beds. Omri and I got some nice recovery time in and were able to hit all of our favorite Darjeeling restaurants to satisfy those many cravings we had accumulated while roughing it. Unfortunately, poor Lauren got very sick for a couple of days. At least we were in a comfy-ish hotel, owned by one of the sweetest couples we've come across yet. When they found out Lauren was sick, they made sure she had everything she needed.

Lauren has achieved recovery and we just flew down to the south of India last night. We'll be heading out of Bengaluru (a modern city, full of technology professionals and lots o' money) for the more rustic, Mysore. I love the comments you all are leaving and hope everyone is doing well! Until the next internet cafe, Namaste!





Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



4th November 2009

Wonderful!!
Your picts are really great!!You had perfect weather that day!!I was told that Everest always has a cloud overthe tip so it is easy to identify. We took a plane trip across the front of the mts. and back. It was amazing!! So gladthat you are able to see so much! lOVE MUCHO.
5th November 2009

blog virgin
Wow Miss BG...you are quite the traveling author! This is my first time to "a BLOG" and I am so impressed with yours. You guys look like you're having a blast and seeing some amazing sights! And hurray that you seem to be attracting small dogs to you wherever you go. What a fantastic place!!! I will keep checking your BLOG now that I know it exists. Have fun on your next adventure!
5th November 2009

yay photos!
You have some beautiful shots! Thanks for taking the time to share for us vicarious travelers!
5th November 2009

Yay!!!
Your trip sounds amazing!!! I'm glad Lauren has recovered and that you are moving right along. I'm so glad you are doing this blog, it makes you seem so much less gone!!!
5th November 2009

WOWZA!
It's so awesome to see pictures, Anna!! They are stunning! It's raining and blowing here. Healthful kisses to Lauren! Look at all the fabulous creatures you're meeting! That Himalayan mountain dog is just hilarious! And the mountains--oh my gosh. So incredible. Thank you for posting! I've been obsessively checking! Hooray hooray!

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb