Afternoon in Adult Education


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
February 7th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SweepingSweepingSweeping

and sweeping and sweeping...one of the hardest workers of the group who cook, serve, clean, make tea...
Thursday

This morning, we escaped! Not really--but it's the first time I walked somewhere. Miguel had been to the marketplace we'd visited earlier (with crafts from different states) on his own before and all three of us walked down this morning/early afternoon. It's definitely warmer today--a good thick 75 we thought--so the walk was hot. Bought a bottled drink on the way back, even!

The first picture is of the "house boy" who every day sweeps the entire place with the broom, then scrubs it down with a mop. Does our rooms too, when he can get in them (if we remember to leave our key).

As we were leaving to go to the Office of Adult Ed, the pictured protest march paraded by--they'd been down outside of the main administration building for a good little while, chanting. We've gathered that they are classified staff but weren't sure what their grievance(s) were.

I spent the afternoon with the Head of the Adult and Continuing Education Department and two program coordinators, discussing their programs, different approaches, family, living in Kolkata, their place in the University, how semesters are set up--a broad range of topics. Was a wonderful discussion
ProtestersProtestersProtesters

taken from the balcony of the guest house.
and we found many things in common, from the unit being self-supporting, to conflict about being a working mother, to the Division having to work together in support of one another with no boundaries. Met the support staff--they too are admissions, business office, registrar, and the like.

Mike's plane looks like it will be on time--we'll leave her about 11:30 to go get him. Whoopee!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

More protestersMore protesters
More protesters

It was a good 200-300 people who paraded by.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb