Mike's in Kolkata too


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
February 8th 2008
Published: February 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Puncture!Puncture!Puncture!

Got a flat tire on the way to the airport - the driver quickly changed it but the mosquitos were pretty thick as we waited.
Friday

Picked Mike up at the airport--the plane was about 1/2 hour early, even! The car's front right tire got a puncture on the way to the airport but the driver changed it in no time and we were back on our way. A very steady, careful driver but I was afraid that the suitcase might be bigger than the car. No worry, it fit just fine.

He was able to sleep in a bit, we had tea and jam toast, wandered around campus (track & field day), went to the Deputy Registrar's Office and visited with him. The staff were still chanting, in a time-honored tradition of demonstration. A bird pooped on Sue's shirt so we went back, changed, and meandered a bit more. Had a nice lunch at the guest house, at the tale end of the seminar attendees. Then walked down to the Adult & Continuing Ed Building (pics from the top floor of the gardens and theatre).

After a bit of a rest (this has been such a taxing day...), we took a ride to the new South City Mall --so we could see some of the 'other' India. Depressingly like every mall in America except with some traditionally Indian clothing styles in the stores. Lots of the same stores--Nike, Reebok, Levi's, Guess, Benetton and some British/Indian ones that we've not seen yet (at least not in Harrisonburg).

As we left, there was quite a commotion in the front of the building--they've been putting up store signs all week and there was a short-circuit in one they were working on today. They were still using a fire extinguisher and were pulling off plastic pieces as we left.

Dinner at Sushil's again tonight--this time I had my camera all charged up! Had wonderful appetizers, including vegetable pokara, and dinner featuring two fish, including pomfrit, which was new to us. Wonderful evening!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

High JumpHigh Jump
High Jump

I think they pitted the Geology dept vs the Chemical Engineers, etc.
Student snack bar or cafeteriaStudent snack bar or cafeteria
Student snack bar or cafeteria

Everyone has the same lunch break time, I believe
Batting PracticeBatting Practice
Batting Practice

For cricket, silly!
Gardens on campusGardens on campus
Gardens on campus

Taken from the top floor of the Adult Ed building.
AmphitheatreAmphitheatre
Amphitheatre

also taken from up in the Adult Ed building, during visit there this afternoon.
MilondaMilonda
Milonda

across from the bookstore on campus, another spot for students to gather for lunch.
Using the scaffoldingUsing the scaffolding
Using the scaffolding

Again, from the Adult Ed building
New South City condosNew South City condos
New South City condos

Four towers, each 40 stories, with luxury condos.
South City MallSouth City Mall
South City Mall

new mall, only open about 12 weeks. many storefronts are not yet open and the food court is still getting set up. Part of the "other" Kolkata.
South City MallSouth City Mall
South City Mall

from above the TV towards the front
Looking downLooking down
Looking down

from the 3rd floor, opposite the food court
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Marigolds and roses floating in a huge bowl--not something you'll find in malls I'm used to!
Group of usGroup of us
Group of us

Including a professor of economics, my host's advisor and friend, a very companionable addition to the group!


10th February 2008

Hey Mike
How's the beer over there? Are you going to contribute to the blog too? I'll be checking...
25th January 2011
South City Mall

biggest shopping mall in kolkata city
i like to go south city mall............
28th March 2011
South City Mall

I AM PROUD OF MY KOLKATA
very good looking . we want another south city mall in haridevpur
4th February 2012
South City Mall

SOUTH CITY-THE BEST MALL IN ASIA
I visit the south city mall very often and it is the best mall that i have ever seen!!!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb