Darjeeling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
September 23rd 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

I arrived in Darjeeling on Saturday. After arriving in New Jalpaiguri train station we got a four wheel drive to Darjeeling. It was a 3 hours drive up hill the whole way passing through gorgeous scenery. Unfortunatley we had 2 rather large people sitting next to us taking up 3/4 of the seat! The temperature in Darjeeling is lovely. It's a bit like the weather at home IF we get a summer! We're staying in Andy's guest house which is spotlessly clean (makes a nice change). Unfortunately we had to move room this morning as the room we had was booked so now we don't have a shower, just a good old fashioned bucket to use for showering (I feel like I'm back in the Sandwell hospital accommodation!).

Darjeeling is going crazy as tonight is the final of Indian Idol and a local is one of the two finalists. There are people parading the streets chanting his name all day and evening and everywhere has posters up telling you to vote for him. You even get discounts in restaurants if you send 20 sms votes! It's a good atmosphere.

There are lots of tourists here, the most I've seen so far and so the stares are much less thank goodness! Have been spending most of our time in tea shops and wandering around. Went out to the pub last night. They had a live band but the crowd were livelier! xxx




Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb