Out of the Cow's Mouth


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand
May 15th 2009
Published: May 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Gangotri and Gaumukh Trek

Gangotri is right up near the northern border of India. It is one of the holiest places in India and consequently a major pilgrimage site because it is located at the source of the Ganges River. It is one of the Char Dham, four pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand. Gangorti temple is built near the place where the god Shiva supposedly received the Ganges in his matted locks. Above Gangotri sits Gaumukh, the glacier that gives birth to the Ganges. The most determined pilgrims can make a trek up to the glacier. Because its such a popular destination, the path is well-established and guides are generally not needed. This seemed like a good idea for me. Kevin has been telling us about these places since we were children, and it had been my plan from the beginning to go there. Unfortunately, because of the altitude and remote locations of these sites, they usually are only open in the summer, beginning in May. Some areas didn’t open until June. Due to the way I worked out my schedule towards the end, I would only have time for one of the sites, so I decided on Gangotri since it was so important in the Hindu world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Quite the settingQuite the setting
Quite the setting

Looking back from the river towards the temple
Frying jalebisFrying jalebis
Frying jalebis

Jalebis are about the most unhealthy thing ever: fried swirls of dough drenched in syrup...why are they so tempting???
Misty mountainsMisty mountains
Misty mountains

I love this one. This is the beginning of the trek.


14th July 2010
Gangotri temple

good image
photo of temple is very nice.i have been post this photo of my pc desktop
8th October 2010
Gangotri temple

analysesof photography
this photo is very nice.i have added this photo in my home album..
2nd February 2011
hello, friend

computer-chair travel experience.thanks
thanks for sharing your exciting travel visuals --- Vinay
28th May 2011

well described..probably the best photos seen till date of the trek route and the place...
16th May 2012

Thanks all
Many thanks for the comments!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb