Nainital: India’s Lake District


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Nainital
August 22nd 2004
Published: August 22nd 2004
Edit Blog Post

Naini LakeNaini LakeNaini Lake

Tourists enjoying at the lake
They call it India’s Lake District. And it’s really not an unfair reference because Nainital district of the Kumaon region in Uttaranchal is dotted with beautiful big and small lakes.
Nainital city itself is situated around a beautiful lake called Naini jheel. It’s this pretty setting which makes Nainital a hot tourist spot especially for honeymooners who enjoy the view of the lovely lake and also try their hands at boating (There are plenty of them, of all colours and sizes), get themselves snapped to take sweet memories back home. Once you are done with sight seeing how about some shopping at the Mall Road. That specialty of all the hill stations established by the Britishers during their rule in India.

Besides Naini jheel there is another lake near Nainital, Khurpatal. An excursion to this lake is an experience in itself.

Once you have finished Nainital and its surrounding areas start looking for other famous lakes of this beautiful district, which even fascinated the famous shikari Jim Corbett. First one you can spot is Bhimtal, the biggest of the lakes in the district. The small town is named after the lake itself and it is said that it’s named
The FlatsThe FlatsThe Flats

Other side of the lake
after the strong Pandav brother Bhima. Here too you can enjoy boat riding. This lake also has an island in the middle of it! This island has a restaurant for those who want to spend some time relaxing in the middle of the water.

From here drive up to the beautiful group of lakes called Saat Tal (Seven Lakes). It is said at one time there were seven lakes here but only 5 are remaining. Of all the lakes in this Lake District this group of lakes is the cleanest one. Others suffer from the typical Indian tourism malaise. All kind of garbage finds it way into the beautiful lakes due to the total lack of concern on part of visitors. Boating here is an experience in itself. These lakes are surrounded by green mountains and make a really good picture. When one has gone bit far, one finds oneself between two mountains. It feels bit scary but it’s an unforgettable experience.

After you have relished Saat Tal, now it’s time to see Naukuchiatal. The lake is named so because it has nine corners. The legend has it that if you can see all the nine corners of
Bhimtal LakeBhimtal LakeBhimtal Lake

The biggest of them
the lake whatever you wish, it gets fulfilled. Unfortunately this lake too suffers from the rubbish throwing. It really needs some good cleaning up before it turns into an ugly pool.

If you have some time to spare, then do visit a small village called Jeolikot near Nainital, which is known for it’s health giving climate. Also, visit Bhuvan Kumari’s Cottage, which is like some gallery of ethnic art. Door, windows and walls everything has some sort of artistic touch personally collected by the lady herself.

The best time to visit Nainital is October and November when it’s not very crowded and the climate is just perfect for having good time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Saat Taal (group of seven lakes)Saat Taal (group of seven lakes)
Saat Taal (group of seven lakes)

Most beautiful of them
Naukuchiatal LakeNaukuchiatal Lake
Naukuchiatal Lake

The lake with nine corners
NainitalNainital
Nainital

Another view of the town


8th September 2008

Naukuchiatal Blog
You ll find all the information about Naukuchiatal on this blog. Excellent resource. http://naukuchiyatal.blogspot.com/2008/08/sip-of-nirvana.html
12th March 2010

ninital
nainital is a very small city
18th March 2010

hi
hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Your lakes are so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
31st May 2010

very biwatifull nainital
Dear my favrat spot in nainital
31st July 2010

beautiful
pls. add some more pic.
28th August 2010
Naini Lake

bhimtal lake
wow................ this lake is nice.........................
13th October 2010
Nainital

ossam
its looking truly very nice......................
24th February 2011
Naini Lake

beautiful lake.....
beautiful city nd lake

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb