Mussoorie: The Queen of the Hills


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Mussoorie
August 15th 2004
Published: August 15th 2004
Edit Blog Post

View of the townView of the townView of the town

Beautiful town in its green glory
As the mercury begins to shoot up in the plains of the north India, Paharon Ki Rani (Queen of the hills) Mussoorie becomes the favorite cooling place for the people who want a break from the scorching heat.

This popular hill station was established by an Irishman by the name of Captain Young little over 169 years ago. This growing town has changed over the last decade due to the overload of ‘tourism’ but it still has some of it’s old charm if you are ready to look beyond the Mall Road, the Gun Hill and the Kempty Fall – the three most famous and commercialized places here.

The resort, situated at a height of more than 7,000 feet from sea level, has been immortalized by its most famous resident -- Ruskin Bond in his various books. He is a walking encyclopedia on Mussoorie.

Mussoorie is hit with honeymooners as well as weekend revelers. No wonder it’s called ‘the honeymoon capital of North India’. But these are the tourists who restrict themselves to the beaten path and indulge in things they see in movies done by heroes and heroines at such places! They do not bother
The MallThe MallThe Mall

Gandhi Chowk side of The Mall Road
to enjoy Mussoorie’s other gems like its several walks. In fact it’s a walker’s paradise. So if you are not just those kind of tourists then try its walks. Camel’s Back Road walk is one of the favorites, which provides you the view of the valley, mountains in total peace.

The road starts from near Hotel Nand Residency on the Kulri Bazar side of the Mall and it terminates at the Gandhi Chowk.

Another walk, much longer, is up to the Lal Tibba. Starting from near the Picture Palace cinema hall bus station this trek takes you 5 km to the highest point in Mussoorie. From Lal Tibba you can view some of the highest peaks (Gangotri peaks, Yamunotri peaks, Badrinath and Kedarnath) with the help of telescope stationed here. They all look so close viewed through a telescope provided you go there in the morning when sky is clear.

If you want to sample the merchandise being sold at the shops on the mall road, taste different foods and see the hotels standing over each other, then what better then walking the 2 km long Mall road. If you want to get yourself photographed in
Another view of MussoorieAnother view of MussoorieAnother view of Mussoorie

Seen from Gun Hill
local dresses then take the ropeway (gondola) to the Gun Hill, though the place looks like some crowded bazar, it’s Ok if you want to overlook the town from more than 2500 meter high point. From here too one can view Himalayas if weather is clear.

Another popular place is Kempty fall, some 24 km on the Yamunotri road. But the place has lost its charm with typical tourism ills infecting it too.

There is another place, which has gained importance of late: Dhanolti. Situated on Tehri road some 24 km from Mussoorie, it has real mountain beauty. One can enjoy walks through tall deodars or can have a go at horse back riding. You can walk to the view point from where glory of the Himalayas appears so majestic.

Bit ahead on the same road is Sarkhanda Devi temple. To reach the temple one has to negotiate the steep hike of 2 km from main road. Ponies are also available but it’s better to avoid using them because it’s not very good feeling riding them on such steep rise. The temple is based at a peak of more than 3000 meter height. All other places around it look so small. It is said this temple is where Parvati’s head fell when Shiva was performing his tandav nritya (cosmic dance) with her body in his arms. So the temple has great following in this part of the hill state.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb