Diwali in Dehradun


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Dehradun
October 31st 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

MussoorieMussoorieMussoorie

Shopping time after curvy ride to top
We woke early Monday morning and took the Shatabdi Express from Delhi to Dehradun. Itay got to see the real flavor of India along the train tracks. The scenery gets more beautiful once you leave the city. Included in our ticket price was a thermos of tea, option of veg or non-veg (eggs) breakfast and choice of 5 newspapers. We ate, napped and finally made some friends from the Czech Republic who decided to book the same hike and we will spend the next 10 days with them (more on that later).

Upon arriving at the Dehradun train station, we were greeted excitedly by Jaspreet's uncle (aka Jaspreet from London's dad), Jaspreet's mom and her cousin with a bouquet of flowers each for Itay. They checked us into a beautiful hotel where more flowers awaited us. It was really special.

More importantly, however, is the meeting of Itay and Beeji (Jaspreet's grandmother). She's 82 and was SO incredibly excited to meet Itay despite not knowing any English. She kept holding on to Itay's arm and telling him that she was really glad to meet him and happy to see us married. Itay won brownie points by responding in a few Punjabi phrases he learned along the way. It felt like one of those memorable moments that left one of us (ok, Itay) a little misty-eyed.

The whole week in Dehra Dun flew right by. We ate amazing home cooked meals, often bought from the market directly below Beeji's house. You name it, we ate it: fish fry, daal, goat stew, squash curry, saag, rajma (kidney beans -- Itay's favorite!), paranthas with homemade butter, achar and chutneys...yum yum yum!

We toured the bazaars up and down from Beeji's house, and endless array of food, clothing, and various chachkes. Itay even had time to order a tailored suit.

We managed a day trip to Mussoorie, a hill station an hour away, where we took in the fresh air and dined at a Tibetan restaurant.

We celebrated Diwali, the Hindu new year that culminates in a 3-day long binge of firecrackers and sweets and card playing into the wee hours. Beeji conducted a prayer that evening, they decorated the patio with marigold bouquets in honor of our first Diwali as a married couple, and we lit candles all around the house.

We met so many of Jaspreet's
Train carTrain carTrain car

Comfy seats and plenty to eat.
extended family and friends of Beeji. Without exception, they all made us feel right at home and showered us with gifts. Itay enjoyed the royal treatment, and hopes that Jaspreet was taking good notes.

Tomorrow (Nov. 1) we are off on a 10-day trek through the Himalayas, with probably no access to phone or email. So hope you enjoyed this extended edition of the Jastay tour.

Happy voting. GO OBAMA!






Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

View from the windowView from the window
View from the window

Lots of houses and people line the tracks. Not to mention the cows....
Nippy, Mummy & Rani MassiNippy, Mummy & Rani Massi
Nippy, Mummy & Rani Massi

Jaspreet with mom and aunt, recounting how much fun we've had so far
Happy DiwaliHappy Diwali
Happy Diwali

Flowers for the new year
Bazaar sceneBazaar scene
Bazaar scene

Outside Beeji's house
Itay & his posseItay & his posse
Itay & his posse

Chillin with the Massarji's (Jaspreet's uncles), decked out for Diwali
Beeji's houseBeeji's house
Beeji's house

Marigolds in our honor for Diwali
Mussoorie vistaMussoorie vista
Mussoorie vista

Jaspreet and Massarji
Man contemplates life...Man contemplates life...
Man contemplates life...

....at 7,000 feet
Jaspreet contemplates why...Jaspreet contemplates why...
Jaspreet contemplates why...

Itay takes so many damn photos
Oh look!Oh look!
Oh look!

I see monkey. A lot of them. And they're mean.
The Dehra Dun Poker TourThe Dehra Dun Poker Tour
The Dehra Dun Poker Tour

Don't trust Jaspreet's mom. She's a hustler!
Massarji is the ManMassarji is the Man
Massarji is the Man

Guaranteed good times with this guy around
Abba, eat your hear outAbba, eat your hear out
Abba, eat your hear out

Chicken farm / store downstairs from Beeji's house
Happy Goat LuckyHappy Goat Lucky
Happy Goat Lucky

Shopping for goat meat at nearby market.
Beeji and JaspreetBeeji and Jaspreet
Beeji and Jaspreet

Last night in town, Beeji stayed up to see us off.


31st October 2008

Have a great time in the Himalayas!
I'll be anxious to learn how the hiking trip went with the Czech Republic folks. You both look like you're having such a great time. Enjoy more yummy brains!
31st October 2008

!!!
marvellous story and pics, looks like you guys are having sooo much fun! i am so happy for you. Bellissimi! a big kiss
31st October 2008

Goodness
Oh my god! Look at your amazing shirts! Did you ever play the Ducktales game for the nintendo? Do you remember all those bouncing mountain goats? Be safe in the Himalayas. Update soon! *e
31st October 2008

jealous
keep taking lots o pictures itay. it looks beautiful and amazing and sounds like the honeymoon i've ever heard of. i also love that itay always makes friends on travels- have fun with the czech tourists on the hike~!
2nd November 2008

super cool
hey guys ... am so glad you had an awesome time in D'dun... Itay: you look super cool in the Kurta :-) happy conquest of the mighty Himalayas ...
7th November 2008

thank you
Itay, this looks so ecciting! Thank you for sending me the link. But does this mean you did not vote?
11th November 2008

...and we're back!
Don't worry, Valeria, we voted early before we left. Not that Obama needed our help to win his home state. All we hear is good things from Indians who have heard of him. And for those who haven't, we are to spread the gospel of Obama. Thanks to everyone else too for all the warm and fuzzy comments. Now it's update the blog and keep everyone happy. I hope.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb