Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 18th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

November 18th - Taj Mahal
Last night we had dinner at a nearby hotel with entertainment. I didn’t mind the music in Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Cambodia but there is a little bit too much drumming for my taste with the Indian music we have experienced to date.

This morning we were off to the Taj Mahal with the busses leaving at 8 am to give us an early start. The busses stopped about a mile from the Taj and we preceded the rest of the way in horse drawn carts. So far we have seen numerous cows wandering about several elephants and camels and some of the worst poverty and correspondingly some of the most aggressive pan-handling experienced to date and the worst smog. They burn garbage in the street so combine with everything else and you have 24 hours of smog.

There is very visible army presence in the city with solders wandering around with rifles and automatic weapons; this security increases when one visits the Taj Mahal. There are definite restrictions on what you can and cannot bring in, plus everyone must pass through security where you are waned and patted down.

What can
The Entrance Gate to the TajThe Entrance Gate to the TajThe Entrance Gate to the Taj

The Taj Mahal has 4 entrances and is surronded by a wall. The entrance in the background is the interior entrance.
I say about the Taj Mahal other than it is absolutely beautiful. We all know the story that the Taj was built by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

I like this shot for the reflection in the water. With all the smog I could not get as clear shoots as I would have liked.
Our flight crew at the Taj MahalOur flight crew at the Taj Mahal
Our flight crew at the Taj Mahal

We bumped into our flight crew from Iceland Air
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

On each side of the Taj there are 2 identical Mosques
Who said women were the weaker sexWho said women were the weaker sex
Who said women were the weaker sex

The women were working as hard as the men, but there method of putting sand in the ditch guarantees a long project.
Security at the Taj MahalSecurity at the Taj Mahal
Security at the Taj Mahal

Carl going though security to enter the Taj Mahal
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

Mare and I at the Taj Mahal


6th December 2007

Good journal
Hi Morgan, A good summary of India through your writeup. I am checking this website for where people stay when they go to Agra so that I can book when I go. India is one place, when you can see animals wandering and, unlike in other countries where they see only in TV and books. I did not understand the word "poverty" in the paragraph. Poverty for what?. We do not "show-off". I have seen worse countries in Europe. Anyway..it was a good read.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb