Kodaikanal to Mettupalayum and Ooty


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Ooty
March 19th 2015
Published: March 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We travelled hrs by car from Kodaikanal to Mettupalayum, the starting point for the "toy train". This was only an overnight stop, as there is nothing there. Had an early night as we had to be up at 3:30 AM to line up for tickets for the train. We had tried to make reservations two weeks before, but all reserved seats were sold, so we had to line up for two of the 25 standby seats. We were lucky we got there when we did, because some of the people that came behind us didn't get on. It was a very pleasant 5 hour journey up hill all the way to Ooty. The toy train is a small gauge train that was built by the British in the early 1900's to transport people out of the heat of the plains to the coolness of the hill stations. It is pulled (or rather pushed) by a small, specially built steam engine. The total distance from Mettupalayam to Ooty is only 47km, but takes a long time because of the steep grade, and the stops along the way for water for the steam engine. It was very scenic and very enjoyable.

We spent a few days exploring the highlights of Ooty. Took a trip up to Dodabetta, at 2638 meters it is the second highest peak in the western Ghatts, and did a day trip to Coonoor to visit some of the mountain attractions there.

Have a bad internet connection so can't load photos, will put them with the next entry.

Advertisement



20th March 2015

HI from VIRCS
Hi Iris, It's Jennifer from VIRCS. We miss you so much. We are looking forward to your return. Your blogs are wonderful to read, sorry i haven't commented before, just been super busy with work and kids. I am excited to hear that your trip has been everything you dreamed of. I hope you are enjoying this special time with your son. Wishing you health and happiness for the rest of your trip. See you soon. Jennifer

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb