Just a quick update


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
November 24th 2004
Published: November 24th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Hi! We didn’t actually end up seeing much of the diwali celebrations (they just seem to burst crackers anyway) but we did have a great time. Kerela is so beautiful! We did quite a lot of shopping in the markets in Cochin, a very laid back touristy town, and I loved the Chinese fishing nets. Periyar was just amazing. To get there we had a four hour bus journey along a very narrow, winding mountain road and the view of the mist spiraling off the green mountain tops and the endless tea plantations was just the kind of thing I’ve always wanted to see. When we got into the actual reserve we went on boat ride around the lake and then a three hour trek through the forest. We didn’t see any tigers but we did see loads of elephants, deer, monkeys and parrots. Hopefully I’ll be able to go back to Kerela in Jan. Any way now we’re back and busy getting ready for the xmas function. I have just spent the morning writing the script for the ‘Jack and the beanstalk’ play we will be doing with 1st and 2nd standard. We only have two weeks to get them ready and rehearsals aren’t going all that well. It’s not a good idea to have a play with just four and five year olds in any case but they don’t do anything remotely creative in school so they just haven’t got a clue.
Wow! You’re all having so much fun at uni!! There is hardly any social life here! It’s the one thing I’m really missing. We have met some other volunteers in south Chennai and we sometimes go out to the cinema or for a coffee with them but that’s about all there is to do! But I think I’ll make up for this over xmas and new years because I’ll be in Goa. The photos are from the culturals we had a few weeks ago. Spk to you soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 3; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 981.7kb