More Delhi on 30.3.13


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
March 31st 2013
Published: March 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We moved on from Chandni Chowk in the comfort of our car, a relief after the bone shaking rickshaw and drive into the peace and orderliness of New Delhi. Wide avenues, green spaces and Lutyens architecture. I had been dying to see India Gate ever since planning this trip over two years ago and it did not disappoint. For the first time since arriving two days ago I got a lump in my throat; I was actually here at last and India was beginning to weave its magic on me. A taxi of Americans arrived alongside us and proceeded to cause mayhem and much honking of horns as they posed right in the middle of the road for the best photo opportunity!

Up at the beautiful parliament buildings the press were crowded round a most orderly protest march. There were many gun-toting soldiers keeping order. The protesters had initially handed in their medals when the terrorists responsible for the Mumbai attacks had not been hanged. Now the ring leader had been, they had returned for their medals.

Moving on to lunch in the weirdest of places, the Ethiopian Cultural Centre, in the diplomatic area, we were amazed to see monkeys on the roads. Another great photo opp, till one large rather fearsome monkey seemed to take a shine to us and set off after our car! Bit close for comfort.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb