Pushy Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
July 16th 2006
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

No alcohol, no meat, no eggs, no drugs, no kissing, no holding hands! What are we doing here?

Pushkar is a holy town that all Hindu's should pilgrimmage to at least once during their lifetime. The reason for this is, it is the home of the only Brahma temple in India. Backpackers like us have visited it for years due to its laid back athmosphere! (hard to believe when there are so many "No s"!) It is centred around a holy lake where hindus come to pray and bathe.

Thankfully there are no autorickshaw drivers here to fight over your custom on arrival and so the hoteliers greet you instead. We happened upon a very genuine man called Filter who took us to his hotel and installed us in the "romantic room". The room was definately designed for those who smoke wacky backy but we were honoured to have the best room in the house. We've spent much of the last two days relaxing at the "Chill Out Cafe" on the roof, stuffing ourselves with pancakes (minus the eggs) and drinking chai (a sugary cinnamon tea which Eddie has become a fan of).

Pushkar itself is very small and everyone is trying to sell you something (hence the pushy)....so far we have resisted and bought only the essentials although Ed has fine tuned his haggling skills! You learn fast.

Today we had a prayer ceremony with a Hindu priest (Brahmin) beside the lake. I think we are going straight to hell or wherever Hindus go for telling the priest we were married. This involved chanting Hindu prayers, washing of hands, throwing petals and dye into the lake and smearing dye with rice on our foreheads. We left with a bag of sugared rice for our families (which we will probably end up eating when hungry further along in our travels) and also with the promise we will live to 101.

Oh we spotted our first Cobra....well actually I almost stood on it and had to be pulled out of the way! We are also bemused by the cows which look like they have had some hanky panky with camels back along the genetic chain somewhere!

Over and out...next stop the home of Jodphurs!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



16th July 2006

Decor
Could you upload a few more accommodation interior shots? We're getting wonderful ideas for our room decor......

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb