Home of Jodhpurs!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
July 20th 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Back on the trains again after the brief deflection to buses between Jaipur and Pushkar. We arrived in Jodhpur with the intention of staying only a day. After some searching and consulting the Lonely Planet we found a hotel (The Blue House) with a fantastic view of the fort from the roof. We finally settled on a fabulous room after dismissing the first room we were shown due to the complimentary giant cockroaches! Our host Manish was quick to explain it was due to a wall being knocked from his next door neighbours house and renovations they were doing. We quickly settled on another room which was spotlessly clean and minus the bugs. The family were Jain and so also followed the strict regime of no meat, no alcohol and no eggs, much to Eds disgust....3 days in Pushkar he felt was enough punishment.

On our first day we headed dubiously to see ANOTHER fort under the instruction of our host! We didn't regret it, it was spectacular and even included a audio guide in the queens english (not the usual Anglo-Hindi mumbo jumbo we were expected to pay for) At one point we were accosted by 5 Indian teenagers who insisted on having numerous photos taken with us and then just with me! We felt like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jollie and after a number of minutes had to run for cover from the paparazzi.

Day 2 we headed out into the sticks (well the desert actually) on a jeep safari to visit Bishnoi villages. These people survive off the land but conserve 29 types of animals and plants, hence their name which means 29! We first sat with a local family in their mud hut drinking chai...we met a 2 year old who is already engaged to be married! We then travelled to another village viewing all sorts of animals on route, mongoose, gazelles, camels, a vulture, water buffalo, antelopes, sheep and peacocks (the national bird of India). At the next village we viewed traditional craft making (pottery, block printing and more weaving), we both got to make a pot...mine was obviously better than Eds. The potter said I would earn 30 Rs (60 cent) for it in the market! We also ate a traditional lunch of tree branches, millet chapati and curry...delicious!

The rest of the time we spent further developing our taste buds...a special lassi drink Jodphur is famed for and Ed even dabbled with a Jain special breakfast which turned out to be rice (not happy!)

We have strayed further into the scorching desert today, up to Bikaner...we'll update if we still have the energy in a couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb