The Big Dig


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pali
January 15th 2010
Published: January 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning was really chilly, surely no more than 5 degrees, numb fingers and toes, revitalising cold air.… though the max temp reached about 22 degrees. I need to get organised as I have a bit of a performance to coordinate on the 26th of Jan for India Day. Lots of good creative energy flowing already so hope to pull it all together. An Australian who has been in Japan teaching for the past 6 years or so just arrived and he has a background in fine arts. Hope we can employ his artistic skills in the school soon. We have a cute logo that was designed many years ago for Water is Life, Rainwater Harvesting Project, with an open mouthed bird receiving a few precious drops. It is painted on the side of the water trucks that ferry drinking water to our school children. Its many years since this project started so we are embarking on a new one called Earth Keepers. I’ve asked Laura if she can come up with a suitable logo and we look forward to this new project unfolding.

At last we have a new cartridge for the printer in the tech office that has just been collecting dust for over a year. It means we have easier access to printing out any resources for school use, than contributing to disruptions in our central office. Miracles continuing, the central office today also connected to broadband internet and there is hope it will eventually become available in the tech office that all Karma Yogis have access to.

I got the OK to sell Australian Merino woolen shawls died Indian style, to the groups that will pass through here soon on their way to Kumbh Mela. We have already moved 5 so it is off to a great start and funds will go towards educating and keeping our school children healthy (the school and hospital).

There is a big dig going on out the front of our building, they are laying some water pipes to try to improve the access points to water around the Ashram. Quite a paradox when you consider easier access ultimately leads to increased usage of our most limited life source here! The Indian women are hard at work carrying the dirt from out of the bottom of the hole on the pans that sit on their heads. They are also carrying bricks in them to take up to the top floor which is where Swamiji's apartment is. There is a bit of a construction project going on there. There is considerable skepticism as to whether the job will be completed before Swamiji arrives here, but he likes to see people working and not sitting around so I’m sure it will be more than OK if He comes back to a work in progress! I will venture to say that women are by far the hardest workers in India!

Interestingly, I was having a conversation with a lady recently who was telling me we shouldn’t hesitate to give men a ‘manly job’ such as carrying something heavy, as they are entitled to so many privileges in this culture for just being men!

It’s almost time for morning yoga. The class teachers change weekly, which is good exposure to different teaching styles and an achievable commitment from the experienced Yogis here, who are no doubt the busiest members of the skeleton crew that runs the Ashram.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb