Day 8 - Bus to, and day in Jodhpur, The Blue City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
July 27th 2014
Published: July 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jaisalmer to Jodhpur


Day 8 - bus to Jodhpur

I was up at 5.15 this morning. I was pleased that I had packed my bags last night before going to bed. It was just a case if getting a quick shower; my clothes were also prepared, then off!
Again, there were no late comers, so we were able to get straight onto the bus and away. After about 10 minutes the bus pulled into the local bus station. We had 20 minutes to allow the locals to get on the bus, get sorted etc. We took this opportunity to ha pave a cup of chai. I must say, I am not a fan of the chai, as it is far too sweet for me. My favourite hot morning drink would be a cup of black Earl Grey, or a green tee. I struggle with the milk and sugar that seems to be compulsory in both masala chai, and normal chai. It's not the fact it has sugar, it is a mountain of the stuff! As I understand it, it is all mixed in during the making of a batch! It was during chai time that last nights stories unfolded. Kyla and I had stayed over at the fort whilst the rest of the group sent out for dinner. It appears that they had a bit if a party; Ankur and Patrick being the main dancers! Although it was also mentioned that when comparing their movements, Ankur's where amazingly loose and moveable, whereas Patrick was described as generally, stiff! Lol. I am sorry I missed it, but I really enjoyed my evening too. I am sure it will happen again before the end often tour!
We are en route to Jodhpur. We will travel eastwards to the centrally located metropolis of Jodhpur, the second largest city in Rajasthan, and formerly the seat of a princely state of the same name. Jodhpur is sometimes called "Sun City" for its consistently bright, sunny climate, or the Blue City because if the vivid blue houses around the fort. At Jodhpur, stark desert landscapes meet a riot of palaces, forts and temples, all enclosed within imposing city walls. Six enormous gates provide entry to the city centre: Nagauri, Merati, Sojati, Jalori and Siwanchi gates, plus Chand pol. Overlooking it all stands the imposing shadow of Meherangarh Fort.
After chai and catch up chats, We all got back on the bus to set off again.
As we passed though village after village, or town after town, the traders quickly jump on the bus to make as many sales as possible with the, literally, passing trade. You can buy ice-creams, sweet corn, water or pakora, amongst other bits and pieces. There is never a missed opportunity to trade!
We arrived safely at The Polo Heritage Hotel.... Wow,.. Another winner! As a group we chose to take tuk tuks to the top of a 125m high hill on the outskirts of the city and you arrive at the magnificent Mehrangarh Fort (Jodhpur ka kila), one of the largest forts in India. Originally started around 1459 by Rao Jodha, founder of Jodhpur, most of the extant fort dates from the period of Jaswant Singh (1638-78). The walls of the fort are enormous-up to 36m high and 21m wide.
Many of the group bought tea and spices in the ancient Sadar Bazaar, one of the oldest markets in India. Handicrafts and tourism are Jodhpur's two biggest industries, in that order. Glass bangles, cutlery, carpets and marble products are some of the most popular items; Jodhpur is also famous for its antiques.
The fort was an amazing building, with such intricate carving of the stone, but quite honestly, I preferred the buzzing atmosphere in the 'living' fort in Jaisalmar. We had an audio tour, which was really helpful, but as it was so hot, I felt the need for cold coffee. I cut the tour by missing out numbers 18-33, and went for lush cold coffee! Bad, I know, but needs must! We took the tuk tuks back to the hotel for a twenty minute turnaround before going for dinner at a local persons house. It was the house that Anker had stayed at when he started his tourism career p, so he is a family friend. Mr. Chandrasekhar welcomed us all to his home in Indrashan which was a twenty minute walk from the hotel. The food was amazing. A pleasant night was had by all.
Jude arrived safely at the hotel today at roughly the same time as we arrived. She had a briefing with Ankur, then met the group. They were all so welcoming to her. She just slotted in as if she had been there from the beginning. We are having another early night as we have another early start in the morning. We are taking the local bus for approximately 8 hours to Udaipur .


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



27th July 2014

Hi :)
Wow! sounds like youre having a fantastic time. Glad you have some company from home, although with your outgoing nature, i'm sure you were doing fine anyway! Nothing so exciting happening here, we went to the veterens weekend in East Park today. The White Helmets were performing on their motorbikes, they were amazing. We also saw a fly past by the Spitfire, lancaster and hurricane, i've put a snap on facebook of that one. I missed the red arrows, but apparently they only flew over once and left - blink and you missed it - literally! Wearther is still scortching, but not as hot as where you are i'm sure. We will have to have a catch up when you get back, we can show you the latest project in all its stages. Take care and keep blogging xx
28th July 2014

Hi
Thanks Claire most interesting comment yet x
30th July 2014

awsome trip
hey guys it seems that you guys had a lot of fun with your own self and were you guys comfertable in car i mean i feel that bus is more comfertable.
6th August 2014

Day 8
ouch - long Bus Journeys - I couldn't handle that lol. Wednesday 6th Aug - I'm sat in my shorts at home - got the kids this week - Bella at the office earning the money lol. looking out the window at a decent sunny day, gotta go feed the troops in a minute (sigh). We're looking forward to our little jaunt to Lanzarote on Saturday - nice break for a few days. ahh well, nothing exciting to share with ya so I'll pop off now and try and catch up on a few more days of ya adventure. take care xx

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb