Day 9 . To Udaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
July 28th 2014
Published: July 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jodhpur - Udaipur


Day 9 - Bus to Udaipur
Today we will continue our journey southeast to Udaipur, famous worldwide for its plethora of breathtaking lakes and Raj-era palaces. Most famous of these is the Lake Palace, an island-palace where the white marble buildings (now a hotel) entirely cover a small island in Pichola Lake. Originally known as the Jag Niwas, the palace took three years to build and was inaugurated in 1746.
The city's lakes-Pichola Lake, Fateh Sagar, Udai Sagar and Swaroop Sagar-are considered among the most beautiful in Rajasthan. An island in Fateh Sagar is even home to the Udaipur Solar Observatory.
So, we had another early start, we were up at about 5.45 so that we would have time for a much needed breakfast before the seven hour bus journey. We have been told that there will be a least one stop at around 10.30. I am sure that even animals at home get better travel arrangements, but that is all part of the experience, and the fact that we are travelling on a public bus, not a private one. We do have, pre booked seats which really helps the situation. Ankur encourages us not to allow ransoms to squeeze onto our seats, not that he thinks we should be mean, but the drivers make extra money by squeezing people on. By us not allowing this action, it helps to stop corruption.
Bus journey over, not too bad! We arrived at the next hotel at about 3pm.
Our hotel is located inside the walled city and barely 15-20 minutes walk from the city centre. We had time for a quick shower, change of clothes and a bite to eat before meeting with Ankur at 4pm.
We set off for our orientation walk.We walked up to the centre square. On the way, passing many colourful shops and street traders. The first stop was at an artist shop/studio. He explained his art form and some of the meanings behind his art. He does really detailed miniature art. Amazing work! He then painted one fingernail for every person. He painted elephants, peacocks, even a karma sutra position on Tom! My nail has a painting of the wife of the man who built the Taj Mahal, Emperor Shah Jahan. Her name was Arjumand Bano Begum, better known as MumtzMahal. Mumtz. It is hard to believe he painted it on my nail! He took nail art to a whole new level!
We then continued our walk up to watch a traditional folk dance display. The woman's dresses swirled with colour as the commanded everyone's attention throughout the show.

At 9pm, back at our hotel, we have hired the roof garden to host a private party for out group. We can have a few drinks tonight as we don't have an early start tomorrow!
What a great party we had! Everyone totally got into the spirit of things. We drank, laughed, talked and danced the night away. Jude and I were that last ones to bed.....6am!


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th July 2014

awsome trip
hey udaipur is a very cool place and it is also an interesting one and did you guys got tried by the bus journey
6th August 2014

Wow - Nail Art
Wicked - Sounds Fab!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb