Jodhpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
February 15th 2011
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Jodhpur




06/02/11 - 08/02/11

I love majestic Rajasthan! This place just seems more laid back, there is less hassle (in my opinion), the traffic is not quite as bad and the colours of the bazaars filled with bright fabrics  light up the narrow alleyways and alcoves. The women look fantastic in their brightly coloured beautiful saris in fantastic pinks, yellows and stunning reds. This is the best place to buy fabric products of good quality. I purchased a nice pashmina and some Hareem style pants from the minimal hassle shop next-door to MV Spices (which is in the LP). Duncs bought some bombay potato mix (after much hassle) which I'm unsure about getting through customs in Australia!!

The centre of old Jodhpur is marked by the clock tower which at night glows is lit up with neon lights of changing colours (strange). Surrounding the clock is a circular road which is full of Market stalls bordered by other bazaars. There are also lots of cows and therefore lots of poo! 

The city is overlooked by the impressive fort called Mahrangarh which is built on a rock elevation. Our hotel, Haveli Inn Pal (the cheaper part of Pal Haveli) has a fantastic view of the fort from it's rooftop terrace. The hotel is an old Haveli and has lots of character. Our room had a massive window that looked directly at the fort which is lit up at night. Definitely worth a splurge at 2400Rs.

We visited the fort the day after arrival. We took an auto-rickshaw for 50Rs up the winding little lanes to the top of the hill spotting 2 camels on the way randomly.

Entry to the fort is 300Rs which includes an audioguide. It is a mini city of alleys, palaces and gates which are well maintained. Walking along the edges og the fort gives you amazing views of the surrounding 'blue' city. Many of the houses are painted different shades of blue which makes for a great aerial photo!

There is also the marble palace / memorial 'Jaswant Thada' which is on the way to the fort and overlooks the city. We didn't go in the end but it looks spectacular from the city at a distance as did the Umaid Bhawan Palace which holds the skyline in the opposite direction.

Next off to nearby Jaisalmer on a very early train!! Managed to get a seat on Tatkal with no hassle for a change!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb