camels and life goals and independence day and rodeo and .... our flight home :(


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
August 13th 2005
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

departing a busdeparting a busdeparting a bus

notice they're climbing down from THE ROOF
saturday aug 13

I FINALLY GOT TO RIDE A CAMEL!!!!

short ride. basically just around the block. i was laughing the whoooole time! arielle was behind me on and was perhaps not as happy as i was, as she remembers riding camels through israel when she was 15 and how much they hurt after a while. BUT IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

so cheers to crossing off another life goal on my "50+ things to do before i die" list...

ride camel

(clyde, i decided, would be the best name for him)

also, off the top of my head... i know that visiting the taj mahal was also on the list, as well as staying in world capitals, so simply grabbing a hotel in delhi automatically crosses off another. oh, and swimming in oceans and seas... bay of bengal and arabian sea. will have to double check it when i get back home (next week.... good god.)

over & out with mbaade, jammin' in jaipur.


********

monday aug 15

happy independence day, india!

in delhi. woke up in our blacked out room at noon and made it to the rooftop restaurant to see thousands of kites flying over the city and hear music blasting from rooftops all over. most shops were closed, so took a not-so-stressful walk through the main bazaar and price-checked stuff for a few hours. met another american girl who should've been a mawrtyr and walked around shopping with her for a few hours. saw a few snake charmers, drooled over HP6 for 800 RS but held out from buying it (waiting for the plane), and eventually made it back to the hotel for an early dinner at dusk. back on the rooftop to watch fireworks exploding all around us and kites being incinerated by them and to dine on thai food with rooftops full of dancing people and pounding indian techno and exploding fireworks surrounding us.

one of my favorite days in india. definitely.

am disappointed i cannot properly convey the feel of india's independence celebrations, but i'm exhausted. will leave that to arielle....


*********

tuesday aug 16

mbaade says:

oh. my. god. we just went to a restaurant & bar called "rodeo". the first mexican restaurant in india. i shit you not, there were indian waiters decked out in black cowboy hats and red bandannas, wall paintings about billy the kid and wyatt earp and "warning! rattle snakes, coyotes, texans!" signs and THE BEST FAJITAS I'VE EVER HAD! mmmmm the lamb was so tender it melted in my mouth! and the cheeeeese. . tequila-heavy margaritas and a couple of beers to wash it down and a whole mix of music from 'enrique' to 'michael jackson' to 'pink floyd' to *old school* pop from when we were like 8 years old to keep us rocking out quietly in our booth in the corner.

what an excellent excellent dinner & night of reminiscing about the last unforgetable three months in l'india.

adding to molly's most informative post (arielle):

ROEADO!!! MARGIARITA!!!! COWBOYSSS AND INDIANS!! AHAHAHAH INDIANS AS COWBOYS!!! the irony!


**********

sunday aug 21

okay, we're back & safe. got in friday afternoon. read all of HP6 on our flights. currently trying to get over the jet lag and search for apartments.

we'll probably be out of commission until we have a home & jobs, so don't expect too much in the way of visiting. also working on being able to function with other people since we've only communicated with each other for 3 months and don't quite know how to handle the rest of society.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb