Part 2 India Trip


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
October 10th 2005
Published: October 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Asha ProjectAsha ProjectAsha Project

Children we met in the slum. Great way to make friends, showing the digital photos of them that you just took
ASHA.
We had the privilege of visiting a slum project called Asha. The project started by offering free health care in a slum, and is now operating in over 40 slums in the Delhi Region. One lady we met had an alcoholic husband and was illiterate, she is now a confident woman, who helps to administer medication to the sick and also is a midwife. These women also tackled the authorities and now have a toilet block!! You don’t see many women out and about in India, except in the country when they are doing hard labour like cracking rocks with hand tools. To see these women empowered was fantastic. They then showed us around their houses, and we met more of the locals.

THE TREK.
Our Himalayan trekking adventure started with a Sleeper train ride. Then a taxi ride to Ranikhet. Edmund Hilary was in this town in 1951 when he had the call to join the team for his first attempt on Everest. And is also where the McKenzie family would come to escape the Delhi Summer. We saw superb views of the mountains including Trisul. We managed to find the house where the McKenzie family used to stay (Kailash Bavahan on Kalika Estate). And met the old landlord Mr Shah. Then we headed further into the mountains to Joshimath on a very scary road, engineered across numerous active rockslides and shear rock faces. We loved our taxi drivers, they were very safe!! Dennis, a family friend, was our guide. He can speak the language, which helps in gaining respect from the locals. Less people seem to be ripping us off!! And we even started to learn a little bit of Hindi.

MOUNTAINS.
The trek began with a cable car ride up to Auli skifield. Where we spent the night camped on the restaurant floor. After spotting a rat, some opted to put up the tents indoors anyway. We woke to a beautiful sunny morning and spectacular views of the Himalayan Mountains including the sacred 7000m peak of Nanda Devi. A view which Ed Hilary described as the greatest sight ever seen, as he came over the Kuari Pass. We had six hours to appreciate it as we waited for the pack mules and guide.
We climbed up to 3750m and pitched camp, watching the sun set behind the peaks. As the sun set the mules became restless, and the guide explained that they were sensing a bear or leopard in the area. A quick scout around the campsite revealed snow leopard footprints in the snow above the camp. We stoked up the fire and thankfully had an uneventful night. The next morning we awoke early and made a push for the summit of Gorson Peak (at 4000m this is higher than Mt Cook). Murray and cousin Peter together with the guide summited at around 11am, while the rest of the party turned back at around 3900m after Uncle Peter suffered an attack of altitude sickness. The views from the top were magnificent with the Kuari Pass behind us and an array of 7000m + peaks ahead of us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

NegociationNegociation
Negociation

In true Indian style, bureaucracy prevented us from beginning the trek right away (Dennis negociating). And we spent a day waiting for pack mules and the compulsory guide.
Badrinath.Badrinath.
Badrinath.

Not wanting to waste the day we did a side trip up to the holy pilgrimage town of Badrinath, nestled under the 6000m peak of Nealkhant, (Edmund Hilary suffered severe altitude sickness during his attempt to climb this peak). The hairaising road to Badrinath is one way, and you really need a four wheel drive. Slips, shear drops, etc.
 Auli.   Auli.
Auli.

Some locals doing some maintenance on the cable car.
Gloria & FamilyGloria & Family
Gloria & Family

Aunty Jocelyn’s Birthday which we had at Glorias house for dinners at Delhi. (Family friend)


19th October 2005

Sounds amazing, and what incredible scenery up the mountain, must feel neat to be following the footsteps of your grandparents
19th October 2005

WOW
MURRAY AND MIRIAM, WHAT A COOL ADVENTURE YOU ARE HAVING. WHEN YOU ARE OLD AND GREY YOU WILL HAVE LOTS OF COOL THINGS TO REMEMBER TOGETHER. THE SCENERY IS STUNNING, THAT ONE OF THE MOUNTAINS AT SUNSET IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!
21st October 2005

Amazing Views
The view among the mountains look amazing. Did you go up the windy track to Badrinath? Where did you get the table and chairs from to have breakfast?
22nd October 2005

Awesome
Thanks so much for all the news. It took me back many years!! What an awesome opportunity to get up into the mountains, God is good. Lots of Love Megan
17th July 2010

hai
hai Your pictures are amazing and beautiful really wonder to see.and best of luck.
28th July 2010
Nanda Devi.

nanda devi
i love this pics.......................really very nice....just touching heart

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 18; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb