1st travel letter!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
November 28th 2007
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dear Friends and Family,
It feels surreal that more than two weeks have passed since we left Norway and England heading for the first destination of our journey; India. The introduction was a blessing but didn’t feel like travelling. Our first two weeks was spent with the most generous Indian family who invited us into their life. Not only did we get to spend their “everyday life” with them, they also included us in the celebration of religious days, anniversaries, weddings and birthday, but best of all, they treated us like part of the family.
On days where the crucial cricket match between India and Pakistan were played, all 8 of us ( APS, his wife Harry, children Kudrat and Kawan, their grandparents and David and I) would somehow fit into one double bed and stay there best part of a day watching the match on TV. Not being British, or from any part of the old British empire, I had no appreciation of how time consuming this game is. It literally does go on for hours, so the enormous amounts of food, tea and snacks we would be presented on a daily basis would now be laid out on a make shift table at the end of the bed , where we all would gather around and eat roti’s, tikka masala and homemade pickle.
The Great Escape - to find an ATM!
After spending about a week with the Chawla family, eating nice food, watching the cricket, going to the vegetable marked, meat marked and fireworks marked we really felt it was about time we made some contribution towards our stay with them. The only problem was that we had no Rupies! Every time we passed an ATM, APS would steer us away from it with a disappointing look, disappointed that we would even think of getting some Rupies, this was an insult to him. But one day after dinner, we finally saw an opportunity. Everyone was tired after the large meal Harry had presented, and wanted a nap. David and I jumped on our feet and explained that we desperately need a walk to digest the food. “Ok, but only around the block”, APS said in a stern voice. “Yes, yes of cause”! As we walked out of the gate, APS looked suspiciously at us. When we reached the end of the road, we did not dare look back but quickly went the opposite way to what we had been allowed. Like little school children we giggled all the way to the town centre, jumping every time we heard a car horn, terrified that our plan had been discovered by APS. According to the Lonely Planet book, which we are dutifully carrying everywhere we go, Chandigarh is supposed to have more ATMs than beggars. When we finally arrived in sector 17 (the centre of Chandigarh), after walking/running for a few kilometres we could only find one ATM, which happened to be “Out of service”. Needless to say we were very disappointed; here we had been waiting a whole week for the perfect opportunity to arise, only for our mission to fail! On our walk back we contemplated writing to the Lonely Planet and correcting them on the wrong information they were giving us travellers. We had stumbled across a fair few beggars, but no ATMs. That was until we turned onto the corner of our block, the block we were not allowed to leave, here we found not only one but three ATMs! All the time they had been on our doorstep, we had just been too blind to see!
Shimla
After a terrifying car ride up a steep and winding road, crowded with monkeys, to this idyllic hill station, we recovered in expensive 5-star opulence. We totally blew our budget, but boy was it nice! APS had organised Destination and the Radisson Jass hotels. The Destination had great views and lovely flowers, but that was about it! The Radisson definitely earned its 5-star rating with their attentiveness and facilities. I think we were the only guests that used the pool though. Finally we could enjoy some home comforts like Shepherds’ Pie!
Chawla family also added us to invites to three wedding events. The first party was the equivalent of a Hen-night, but nothing like we’d experienced before. All relatives of the Henna-adorned bride were there to eat and non-alcoholic drink the night away! Lots of singing and dancing. The second night had us cover two wedding evenings. The events were huge! The venues defied belief with fireworks and long religious ceremony defining the evening. We spent slightly more time at the second wedding as this was the non-veg affair!
Our stay with the Chawla family was a nice and cushioned introduction to India, but probably far from what is to come when we continue this travel on our own, without the protected eyes and action of family.
Next destination: Amritsar!

Miss you all and hope to hear from you soon!

Lots of love
David & Nina







Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb