Onto Jodphur, the blue city


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
October 3rd 2007
Published: October 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up at the criminally early time of 7am(im on holliers!!) to catch a bus for 8. Got to the bus station to be told that it just left 5 mins before(its india) and the conductor just pointed at our ticket which said Arrival time:7.30. I informed him in a very gentlemanly manner that its says departure time 8 you retard but he could only smile at us!!!
Thankfully another bloke got us into a rickshaw and we chased the bus through town and caught up with it.

7 hours and a broken back later we pulled into Jodphur which was a bit crazy. As our bus came up the main street to the station we could see about 20 men sprinting at the bus and jumping up and hanging out the windows pointing at us. Thinking we were breakfast i was ready to swing a few digs but it turned out they were just desperate touts in the low season. We had to push by them and got a rickshaw but it was still pretty intimidating anyway. Just slept that day as the city wasnt to inviting to walk around.

Not much to do in Jodphur to be honest. Its has this massive fort which overlooks the city and is really impressive. We went on an audio tour of the place which was really cool and the first time we felt we got our moneys worth for seeing an old building. Jodphur is called the blue city after the blue washed buildings which prevented termites. As i said we didnt venture much around the city as the smell was over whelming. Its hard to believe people can actually live like that but it literally hasnt changed in centuries. Makes you feel really lucky you can leave after 2 days. We even got attacked by cows while walking through the narrow lanes of the old city which was funny in retrospect but not at the time.

And that was Jodphur, not too nice but worth a visit to see the palace. We had to then catch a 12 hour train to Delhi for the final part of our trip. Our highlight of that night was seeing a 10 yr old boy relieving himself over the side of the platform while his mam and dad watched on proudly(oh and they dont use bog roll in India so use your imagination!!!!!!). Melissa nearly poked her own eyes out so at least it was funny for me!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb