Ellora Cave, the beaches of Goa and Gokarna and the ruins of Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
February 7th 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Udaipur on a night bus (we kind of got used to it in India) and arrived in the early morning to Indore, we decided there's not much for us do there and without giving too much thought into it made our way to Aurangubad, which meant changing 2 buses and 2 trains and adding up to a total of 26 hours of crusing around.

Aurangubad is quite a big city (of nothing). The reason we went there was to visit these amazing caves in Ellora. It was really worth the trouble and effort and it was so nice. It's 34 caves in total, starting with Buddhist caves, then Hindu caves and ends with a few Jain caves. They're all carved in the stones and there are some amazing features of the 3 religions, each expressing a bit different. We enjoyed it very much and to explore them all, took us pretty much the all day.

Craving for some beach time, we decided we don't want to waste time in Aurangubad, we really had nothing to do there and decided to go the beaches of Goa. We took a bus during the day to a city called Pune and changed to a night bus to Goa.

We went first to Anjuna Beach, where it's quite nice, many rocks and way too much activity for us. Plus, you can't really find acommodation at the beach (which our spoiled selves really wanted), luckily though, we arrived on the market day (Wednesday) and we saw the biggest market we've ever seen, so this was already worth the trip. So we left after just one night and moved further south to Palolem Beach, which is much more quiet (still busy though) and got our beach front hut.

It's really relaxed there and we could really enjoy ourselves. We took a boat trip to see some dolphins and swim in a more secluded beach. Was very nice.

Then we left the beaches of Goa, but not to worry- only for a short while, till we reached the beaches of Gokarna (Karanataka). It's 50 km away, which means 4 hours travelling, here in India.

The beaches where amazing and much more secluded than in Goa, but the freaks here are even scarier than the ones in Goa. The conditions there were incredible low and it's like westerners who wanna experience the India way of living.

We just stayed a couple of days. We took walks to the secluded beaches around the town, including Kudle Beach, Om Beach and Half Moon Beach. Each is 2 km from the other and is a nature walk, sometimes it could be very challenging for the hike and navigation.

Then we took an 8 hour bus (supposedly) to the ruins of Hampi, which took 12 hours, but who counts?!?!?!

The town is amazing and everywhere around it are these ruins from 500 years ago. Some preserved more than others, but the carvings, structures and size are not to be believed. There are everywhere as well these huge rocks that give a really special feeling to the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb