It only took two days, but we're here.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
August 19th 2006
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hawa MahalHawa MahalHawa Mahal

From the non-street side.
So after so really long train rides that I thought were going to be worse than they really were, but just involved my boredom and lots of sleeping, we are now in Jaisalmer. The trains are actually not bad, I'm just glad to be off of them after so long. We had a twelve hour lay-over of sorts in Jaipur (which we're actually going back to in a couple of days) and did some shopping and saw the Hawa Mahal. The Hawa Mahal is right in the center of the city and functioned as a sort of women's palace where women could see all the processions and going's on of the city, from their own private space.
Jaisalmer seems really pretty in that middle of nowhere, kind of feel. It's city that sort of rises out of the sand, and at first glance, almost it made out of sand. The trains here were actually nice in the way that you could see the landscape changing from lusher farm land to drier and drier landscape until we got to the desert. We saw quite a few camels on our way here.
Tomorrow we're going to explore more around the fort
View from Hawa MahalView from Hawa MahalView from Hawa Mahal

Imagine yourself as the wife of someone important and got to see the world through this window.
and the outside of the city, but we're tired from the long trains, plus there's some doubt about the quality of food we ordered for dinner. Oh well. Nite!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

JaipurJaipur
Jaipur

From the top of Hawa Mahal
JaisalmerJaisalmer
Jaisalmer

The sand city.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb