JAISALMER


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
August 14th 2006
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jaisalmer streetJaisalmer streetJaisalmer street

With our taxi driver -Prince...hmm
Jaisalmer is wonderful - a hot, dusty, desert town, 60kms from Pakistan's border, with a 12th century fort on top of a hill. I can't work out if it's falling down or being built up - there are small building sites everywhere.
But the direct Delhi trainline has only recently sprung into action, so I imagine that within a decade, this sleepy little place will look like downtown Mumbai...I totally fell in love with the beautiful havelis and incricate, carved stonework on people's homes inside the fort.
We s

Stayed at the Shahi Palace just outside the fort, with the brothers - and they are building one hotel each, so there'll be other great places to stay within a year or so. The Shahi has fabulous red sandstone rooms and a rooftop restaurant overlooked by the fairytale castle - definitely recommended!
While there, there was a spectacular 'dry' electric storm, followed by a sandstorm a few days later...
Photos to follow asap - got to find a place with that all-important CD connection...Jaisalmer doesn't have broadband yet, and of course, just been told I won't find one in 'the whole of Jodhpur'....!
Later: well, just so happens that down the road....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

JSLM ExpressJSLM Express
JSLM Express

Moving through the desert
The fort at nightThe fort at night
The fort at night

View from the Shahi
Storm over the fortStorm over the fort
Storm over the fort

View from the Shahi
Akhil and his familyAkhil and his family
Akhil and his family

We met Akhil and his lovely family on the sleeper train to Jaisalmer. We met up often after that in the town and they came to the train to see us off to Jodhpur.
In JaisalmerIn Jaisalmer
In Jaisalmer

The whole town is made of the same soft, golden stone - beautiful, as everything glows in the light
Pakistan is just over there...Pakistan is just over there...
Pakistan is just over there...

This may be the closest I'll ever get to Pakistan, but the brothers who own the Shahi where we're staying (they've adopted Rob!) have a running joke: if you go off on a journey, they shout 'See you in Pakistan!' I wish.
Riding on the train stepsRiding on the train steps
Riding on the train steps

Much more exciting than sitting on the seat...(if you're aged 5 or me)


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb