More Camel Fun!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

OK were now in Jaisalmer, but before I get into telling you all about our camel safari I forgot to tell you all about our trip to the Rat Temple in Bikaner! The Karni Mata temple is full of sacred rats, that have free run of the whole place. Milk and bread is put out for them and people bring offerings for the gods and the rats. Its actually not as bad as it sounds - cleaner than we thought which was good as you cant wear shoes, its bare feet or nice plastic foot covers! Apparently its lucky if one runs over your foot, lucky for the rats that none of them attempted to run over my feet or they would have found themselves flying through the air towards the wall!

So back to Jaisalmer, I really love it here, its known as the Golden city, because its mostly sandstone. The old fort is amazing looming over the town, its actually one of the one hundred most endangered sites in the world as the monsoon rains damage the buildings every year, before global warming it was never really a problem!

We got here on Sunday after an express bus ride from Bikaner - I didnt like the word express from the very beginning, local buses go plenty fast enough for me! There was time for a quick bite to eat and then we were off in a jeep to head out to meet our camels!The plan was to ride out into the dunes and set up camp for the night! An hour later we were in the middle of the Thar Desert and the nerves had kicked in! Camels are really high! I chickened out of getting on at first, I really dont like the thought of not being in control, but after I while I grew some balls and got up there and it was fun! It was getting down that was the hard part, firstly they drop down on their knees and you feel like your going to go flying forward, then their arse just drops to the ground with a bang! We arrived at our camp site for the night and had Masala Chai whilst watching the sun set (im becoming a masala chai addict, its replacing the nicotine), we then took part in more Indian dancing around yet another camp fire and then it was time for a feast, camel caravan style! (oh and few rums!).

Our beds for the night were out under the stars and i slept really well considering there was a dog ferreting around the camp site, which at 3am I was convinced was some sort of wolf!!

The next morning after breakfast it was back on the camels and back to the hotel to relax.

We spent the next few days just chilling in the town, walking down to the lake, exploring the fort. Like I said its one of my favourite places so far, its not overwhelming, the touts rnt too bad and its easy to find your way around. I did a little shopping, getting some ali baba style pants and a few tops! Its so cheap!!

Our hotel was also amazing, another restored Haveli, with a fab resturant, Caz and I somehow managed to end up in a deluxe room which was awesome! apart from the stuffed antelopes head on the wall!!

Anyways its Jodphur next and another (really) express bus ride to go!!

Love me
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Beer O'clockBeer O'clock
Beer O'clock

My first beer after a week on antibiotics!!! It tasted so good!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb