day 7


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
December 14th 2007
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today is our last full day in Jaisalmer and we will be sad to leave. Its a lovely place and I cant recommend it enough. We have really enjoyed it here. The people are s friendly weve only had 1 person ask us for money which is good I suppose. It seems to be really clean as well, last night on our way back from dinner we saw people sweeping the streets around the fort and someone dropping off a load of hay near the entrance to the fort for the animals. I suppose a lot of bad stuff happens but I like that I saw that. The air seems nice and clear here, its smells nice as well all food spices and incense sticks.
OOOH Bad thing happened today. Went to the Jain temple today and after looking around that we tried to walk down a street but a big crowd of people were blocking the way so we couldnt, as we turned to walk back a man explained that the reason we couldnt walk through the crowd was someone had died. We ended up in a book shop and could hear a wailing noise, the guy in the bookshop said it was the son of the lady that had died. She was old and had been very ill she was 55!!! Feeling quite sad at this news we left the bookshop and walked to the square near the temple to get back to our room. As we got to the square we could see a group of ladies mourning just as DK said "do you think this has anything to do with that lady" we saw the body wrapped up on a stretcher. A group of men nearby shaving their heads (I believe this is part of the mourning) It was awful we got across the square as quickly as we could, we felt so bad for stumbling in on this. We had no right to intrude.
We went to the palace museum and had a look around (get the headsets its worth it) was ok actually there was some good views on the roof you could see Pakistan as it was such a clear day.As we were going to the top of the museum there was a guy with some sort of instrument asking you your name - you told him, he made a screech with this guitar thing whilst just singing your name and then he charged you for it!! i was laughing my head off - DK song went something like this "chris chris chris chris chris chris chris" catchy eh!!! he never asked me for my name tho 😞 After the museum we went to the German bakery but it was closed, not put off we went to the other German bakery just outside the fort entrance. The man who served us yesterday was in this shop, I asked why his other shop was closed and he said as a mark of respect as a lady had died so all near her house close for 4 hours. I found that quite moving, you wouldnt get that at home would you? Had apple pie (DK) apple crumble (me) and 2 coffees - 105 Rps Was good good good.
We had found a nice internet shop near the palace so checked all our onward journey details, mailed home and sat chatting to the shop owner, Durk Singh. Nice man. Went to Ghandi Chowk and had a look around there, found the restaurant where we have decided to have dinner tonight. Went to Saffron for coffee (DK) banana lassi (me) **Rps 60** we sat in the courtyard and read for a bit. Very nice, very Mediterranean.
Back at the room we sat in the balcony enjoying the sun reading and just watching the world go by. We went to Trio for dinner tonight. Veg kofta, mixed veg, pea & mushroom curry, bread rice and lassi 475 Rps Whoop! Was very nice, very nice indeed. Got back to the hotel packed our bag paid the bill and went to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb