Desert but not deserted


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
April 21st 2005
Published: June 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Woohoo 47 degrees Celsius!!!! It was just too damn hot here.
The only reason we came here was to go out to the Thar Desert on the borderline to Pakistan and ride some camels, so we didn’t waste any time in booking the trek.

The night before the trek we wondered around and visited the local "Government approved bhang shop". Erik and I sipped strong bhang tea and ate some bhang cookies and chocolate, at first we thought the tea was weak, only to find ourselves totally wasted a couple of hours later. A few of the local Indians thought I was sick as I continuously laughed on the way back to the hotel.
We had quite a rough night.

After only a few hours sleep we got up around 5:30am to take the jeep out to base camp in the middle of the desert. Base camp consisted of our guides, camels and some hard-boiled eggs. For some of the people in our small group getting on their camel was only half the mission as putting on their turban, but Erik and I opted for Arabian style turbans to avoid this problem.

As we set off, it didn’t
Anyone for drinks???Anyone for drinks???Anyone for drinks???

Our guides deliver us some cold drinks after a hard 2nd day
take long to realize that Erik got the feisty camel.

Day 1 went by smoothly except for one of the guys in our group (George) who suffered from a serious hangover and threw up a couple of times, but with some help of my mothers trusted medicine he survived the day. By nightfall we arrived at the first set of sand dunes where we camped out and ate around the fire. The cool desert night was welcoming after a bumpy 7-8 hour ride on the camels in the burning desert heat. Our thighs and bums were killing us.

On Day 2 Erik's camel had a serious attitude problem, starting off by disobeying Erik's orders, vomiting on his leg and biting a guide in the head. Another guide stepped in by giving Erik a fat bamboo stick to discipline his camel. After a good knock on the head, there was no more arguing about who was in charge and they became the best of friends.

Each day of the trip consisted of breakfast a 7am, a four hour camel ride through the desert and local villages from around 8am-12pm, then a four hour lunch break in the shade
Middle of nowhereMiddle of nowhereMiddle of nowhere

Shakirah and Bubu (camel) lead the way
under a random big tree, this was the hottest part of the day. There’s just not much you can do when it feels like you’re sitting under a big hair dryer. Then we set off on the camels again for about 3 hours before reaching the next set of dunes around 7pm and settling down for dinner, activities and sleep. The second night was particularly fun as the guides cooked up some chicken and we got a small party going.

During day 3 the others left to return to base camp as they had only booked three days, leaving us on our own with two guides for our last day.
We noticed that the desert was far from deserted as every morning when we woke up there were lots of trails from lizards, spiders, scorpions, beetles and who know what else.

Day 4 was hard, the hours seemed long and the sun was fierce so we were very exhausted by the end and a shower never felt more welcoming. The things that kept us going were the beautiful starry desert nights, the seemingly endless desert and the gentle smell of the constant noisy camel farts.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Trekking through local villagesTrekking through local villages
Trekking through local villages

The local villagers insist that I help fetch water


4th June 2005

phew!
woah! now thats hot! surprised you didn't melt... ;0) - yes I cannot type anything sensible - TOM - Tom
6th June 2005

Monday Mornings
Hey Shaks, Monday mornings will never be the same after reading your latest episode. Erik is wearing far to many clothes and those camels do not look cute! - Paul Hampson
6th June 2005

keep em coming
Hey Shakirah, just to say i've been enjoying reading your updates even though I haven't been commenting so thanks for putting me on the list and keep em coming... oh and make sure not to let any camels give you shit! - Andy
23rd June 2005

beautiful pictures
Glad you got some great pictures to share with us. - Shafi http://agami.blogspot.com

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb