Trains!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
April 23rd 2013
Published: April 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We were a little apprehensive initially about our five hour train journey... We had heard some horror stories: delayed trains for hours and hours on end and complete chaos at the stations. But, us usual, we were pleasantly surprised at the (eventual) simplicity of it all.



Firstly, the sheer size of the place alone was enough to make anyone a little nervous. Crowded? Yes - but chaotic? Not particularly.



Once again we appeared to be the only white people amongst a sea of Indian faces, hence understandably a lot of stares. But we're quite accustomed to this now.



Jen had a little encounter with a squat toilet, after accidently wondering into the men's toilets. "NO NO NO MA'AM!!!" ... Good start.



Fortunately we were able to find an English speaking man to ask which platform we needed to be on for Jodhpur .. "Three ma'am" - Indian's always so polite. So off we went looking for platform three. All the while turning down (firmly) offers of helps to help carry our luggage over various bridges. We'd become accustomed to these sneaky offers of help, which later become a hefty fee in return for the favour. It's hard to say "No" when you have an open palm thrusted in your face.



Once on the platform, we gathered the train would be approx half an hour late (not bad and certainly not untypical for the UK either). So we settled down onto the floor like everybody else and waited patiently. We had the obligatory stares and requests for photos. But again we certainly didn't feel harassed.



Whilst waiting we were surprised to see many people running across the train tracks to get to different platforms (who needs a bridge, when you have a busy live railway track?!). People also weren't bothered to use the platform when the train pulled in, preferring to jump onto the railway track instead - Indian's are so light and nimble on their feet they can kind of get away with it.

We noticed more and more trains pulling in and became slightly panicked after seeing how hugely overcrowded the carriages were. People were hanging out of windows and halfway out the doors and there was a massive/mad sprint/race to get to the carriage door when the train pulled in. It was quite intense to watch, hundreds of people desperate to get on climbing over each other, shouting... here was our chaos.



Then we remembered we were travelling in style - second class.Phew. When finally on the train all was going well, more than enough space, fairly positive it was the right train etc until the fierce looking train inspector came to check our tickets. He looked confused and kept shaking his head, repeating "NO" - unfortunately for us he didn't appear to speak any English. All of sudden (after what seemed like an eternity of head shaking and "No's") he got up and walked away. Weird. From there on, every stop we came to we were terrified we'd be escorted off the train.



Other than that, the train journey was uneventful - pleasant a chance to relax and read our books. The terrain outside changed to endless desert... We were very pleased to arrive in Jodhpur.



So, who says two females shouldn't travel alone in India? Albeit second class... kind of cheating maybe! We have found Indian's the most helpful people we have ever come across. (P.S. Photo's now added on previous blogs).

Advertisement



26th April 2013

Carry on enjoying!
You two seem to be coping well with India's extremes. Enjoy Jodhpur - it's a lovely city.

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb