We ride elephants today


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
June 5th 2011
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we went to the Amber Fort, the ancient capital of Rajasthan. The fort was begun in the 1600's and remained the Maharaja's home until after WWII when India became a consolidated state. In fact, the former Maharaja kept another fort above this one and still lives there today. He also has a palace in town that we see this afternoon. Like English monarchs with no power or influence, he opens part of his property for tourists as income.

Access to the Amber Fort was the best. We rode an elephant up the cliff! It was great although I think Ernest was a little nervous. We had pictures of us made while we were traveling up the hill but none from Ernest's camera so we can't show us but you can see others on our tour. When we came down it was by jeep so not so special, except the usual scary driving all over India. The fort itself looks very Arabian Nights, especially a Hall of Mirrors.

Before arriving at the fort we stopped to see some camels along the road (they are very numerous) and a snake charmer was there for the tourists outside the fort.

After a break in early afternoon, we went to the City Palace to the see a museum with clothes and personal artifacts from three centuries of Maharajas, including the world's largest silver urns, which the Maharaja in the 1800's took water from the Ganges river when he traveled to England.

Then we went to an observatories founded 300 years ago. It was amazing. We had a special guide here, a friend of our tour guide, and he was so knowledgeable he could read the dial and tell us within 20 seconds the time and the time in the US. We then went to the astrological observatory where he could show shadows for people's birth dates and tell them in seconds not only the sign, but which constellation was rising or descending and aspects of their personality as a result. He asked Ernest is I sometimes got a little aggressive and he confirmed I was called the Boss Lady in China. It was a lot of fun.

Tonight we go to a restaurant that is in a former home of a Maharaja, the owner now also a friend of our guide. The guy is very well connected.

Tomorrow is a long bus ride again back to Delhi. Those not taking the Nepal extension go to the airport. We go to a hotel and leave the next morning for Nepal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Water palaceWater palace
Water palace

built in 1700's; empty now; plan to make a restaurant


5th June 2011

You've really taken some very nice photos.
It looks like you are having a great adventure and I look forward to reading more. Happy Travels
6th June 2011

WOW!
Hey groovy couple! Amazing pictures as always! It looks simply amazing! Take care and be safe!

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb