The beautiful Taj... apparently!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
December 7th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jaipur

We had only heard good things about this place as it’s on the main tourist route but we didn’t like it at all. It was filthy dirty and all the men from the street shops were really pushy.

Kulwant, our driver, drove us to a few of the city’s attractions, the main one being the Amber Fort. The only way up is to trek the 500 steps so off we set in the stinking heat. 100 steps up, stopping for a break/view of the city, we were approached by two souvenir salesman aged 16 and 20. Being the only two white people there, we weren’t surprised when they decided to try their luck! However, it soon became apparent that they didn’t want us to buy anything, they wanted us to become their girlfriends and for us to take them back to England.

On the next leg of our journey we were stopped several times so that we could be included in some Indian family photos and also individual head shots… proper D-List celebs!!

Once we reached the top and had another break we made our way to the ticket counter. Upon discovering that it would cost us 350 Rupees (₤5.00) each to enter the fort, we made a quick calculation that we could get a bucket each on the beach on Koh Phangan island, Thailand for the same amount of money so thought fu*k it, lets go back down!

Half way, we were greeted again by our new Indian boyfriends who decided to declare their undying love to us with gifts of elephant paintings.

That evening we had fun trying on saris and turbans but we will leave you to look at the pics!

Ranthambhore National Park

Today we headed to the jungle to go on a tiger safari. All the jeeps were fully booked when we arrived so we spent the afternoon chilling by the pool and booked on for the next morning.

Up at 5am and in the pitch black, we wrapped up as warm as our portable wardrobes would let us. 6:50am and we were still stood outside the front of the hotel waiting for the safari bus… what we now know as typical India!

After a freezing 4 hour journey we successfully saw; monkeys, a snake, some deer, crocodiles and a few birds. A bit discombobulated when we arrived back at the hotel, having not seen a single tiger, we were directed to a hidden sign explaining that it is a rare occurrence and extremely lucky if you spot a tiger. Our minds were once again opened up to typical India!

As we pulled into Agra in the evening, discussing dinner, and the fact that we couldn’t think of anything worse than another curry, our faces lit up when as if by magic, a Pizza Hut sign appeared!

Agra and Delhi

Up again at the crack of dawn, we prepared ourselves to go and see the thing that we had both been looking forward to the most… the Taj Mahal.

After reading ‘The Bible’ and speaking to other people, it seemed that sunrise was the best time to visit. Leaving the hotel we were greeted by for thicker than we have ever seen in England. After being assured that it would clear by sunrise, we handed over our money and followed our guide.

As you can see from the pictures, the fog didn’t clear and we never actually got to see the Taj :-( We could have been anywhere and wouldn’t have known any different. The inside was beautiful but we left absolutely gutted.

In the evening we were treated to another cooking class with our driver’s wife and daughter before settling down for the night excited for our flight to Goa.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th December 2008

Great blog girls keep em coming love you lots have fun looking forward to the next one have a feeling with 12 ruilip girlies joining you the next one might not be so cultural !!!!!!!!!!!
21st December 2008

Auntie Mo's
Hi girls, just wanted to let you know we're off to Auntie Mo's in a few hours and there's NO EXCUSES for not being there xx

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb