Milton Keynes comes to India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Chandigarh
July 20th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We found ourselves in Chandigarh for a few days and this is a modern town built in the 60's based on a grid system. It really is like Milton Keynes. Lots of islands, green areas, two parks and laid out gardens, flower beds etc. The roads have service lanes and cycle lanes. All the suburbs are self contained with their own shops, schools, medical centres etc. It is quite revoultianary and a pleasant change.

The first morning saw me decamping to have my hair done. All the works in one of the most expensive hotels saw me paying a grand total of fifteen pounds! Hey ho! However, I have established why everyone thinks I'm Spanish. Yes it's because of my dark hair (would like to think it was my looks too but ah well!). My stylist was most surprised that I didn't want to go blonde as in his words 'all english women are blonde'. The penny - sorry rupee - dropped!

Afterwards we explored the Fantasy Rock Garden established by Nek Chand. The gardens are entirely made from recycled materials, initially from the villages that were destroyed to make way for Chandigarhs development and from there on in, day to day materials that have been thrown away. You walk along little pathways through towering rock formations and round each corner you are met with something different. Pots stacked high, little clay houses, walls tiled with broken crockery and then figures and animals made out of the same. There are peacocks made from the remnants of glass bangles it is humbling to see one mans work being appreciated and enjoyed by so many. And he is still creating today.

We have also visited several museums and the High Court which were all very interesting. The courts saw us going upstairs via a lift to gain permits to go back downstairs so as we could wander around and take photos. In the lift sits a guy on a stool pushing the up and down button - doesn't anyone realise he's taking up standing room! Again it is a hive of activity. We met a barrister who has a friend working in the Land Registry in Gloucester! This world is getting smaller!

We have decided to head for Shimla up into the cool mountains for a few days as we seem to have got a little time to spare. Will try and get some more photos on soon. Sorry this one's short, I forgot to bring my diary with me!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb