Golden Temples and Special Pools


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
June 6th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 31.6309, 74.8716

The time for yet another border crossing had arrived. In previous years, the entry into India had been a long winded process, so leaving at midday gave us plenty of time to tick all the boxes before the famous 'Border Closing Ceremony' that started at about 6.30. Well you would have thought.....
Leaving Pakistan was our first task and therefore our first issue! Once we had explained we had no dogs or livestock on bored... like we'd have room for a water Buffalo on the roof! We had to wait 45mins for the power to come back on, for the computers to work, to let us out.... computers will be the end of the world one day! The guy at the desk, once the power finally returned, was actually quite a happy chappy for a border guard, although couldn't understand why a woman would want to teach mountain activities! But with a smile I said 'he should come to the UK and give it a go', he laughed, with a shake of a head and just waved me on through. Once we had found the right entry gate for India ... it was all new terminals. We were told that we did not need to bring all our bags through, only hand luggage ... and then once that had been searched, more obligatory forms were filled in, passports were stamped, looked at again, details entered into Biblical sized books and then it was time to sit and wait for the truck to pass all if its inspections. Whilst we waited we were reunited with Emily and Libby, who came running and screaming into hug everyone... not sure what all the guards quite thought of it all! Our greetings were put on hold, as we heard Adam remonstrating with one of the officials.... we had to take everything out of the hold.... so back we all backtracked to retrieve our rucksacks, to be scanned to be returned to their original position 2 mins later ... some without even being looked at! It was done... now time for the fun to begin! The border closing ceremony is as big an attraction for Indians as it is for anyone else! Foreigners have their own little section to sit in, but I kind of wished we could have sat with everyone else. The colours in the crowds were spectacular ... I don't think any words could do it justice, especially after the contrast of the majority of Iran and Pakistan. It was a sea of brightness and happiness. The music started and everyone was on their feet dancing Bollywood stylee... you really couldn't help but smile at it all. There were similar festivities on the other side of the gate, but our side whipped their arse!

The ceremony itself involved the 8 army personnel, dressed in their equivalent to bearskins, hyperactively marching up to the gate with great speed, before saluting, high kicking to pretty much kick themselves in the head, and a lot of shouting!!! As the sun set, the flags were brought down, folded and marched back to the base for the night, ready for dawn. It was quite the welcome to India!

Once we had arrived at Mrs Bandari's Guest House, it was time to set up camp in the now dark and catch up with the rest of our companions that had not been granted their Pakistan visas. It was lovely to see them all, especially as that group had been so ill throughout their little Indian adventure.

The following morning it was 'truck cleaning time' mark 2! Thankfully we all were given different jobs to last time, meaning that I did not have to scrub the pots and pans to an inch of their lives.... instead scrub the windows in the truck and clean out the entire inside..... Love 'housework' on a 'holiday'!!!

That afternoon we ventured into the town, to have a look at the Golden Temple and see how busy it was, and to change some monies, as I had not accomplished this task yet! The temple was rammed, but Emily and Steph still wanted to go, so they went off, and myself, Libby and Becca went on a mission for rupees! We asked a rickshaw driver where the nearest one was, and he jumped at the chance to take us! With three of us precariously balanced on the back of the seat meant for two, we began to cycle down the back alleys, getting further and further into rundown town! We were a little concerned, but he did indeed take us to a money changer, with a great rate… legend… he then took us to a Hindu temple, which was beautiful and sooooooo much quieter than the golden temple, he walked us around, explain that about all of the gods, and the holy water surrounding it and then took us for lunch in the temple kitchen. It was lovely and he was so keen to learn about our life back home, he let Libby have a go at pedalling on the way home and then as per usual asked for more money than he had quoted. We couldn't really say no…. I am way too much of a soft touch for this travelling malarkey!

We cooked an awesome Thai green curry that night at the truck, and then it was to bed early for me, as I wanted to get up early in an attempt to beat the crowds to the golden temple as we had at Ephesus. It was WARM in the tent that night, but it made it easier to get up all the earlier.

The Golden Temple was spectacular, I can see why so many people think it is so wonderful, and so many people pilgrimage to it. As it is Seek temple, men and women alike have to wear head coverings, which various people try to throw at you and charge you for, I however had my trusty scarf back on…. Felt like home after the last month wearing the sodding thing! We queued for about an hour to see inside the temple, which I am not sure was worth it really, but I guess it had to be done. The rest of the morning, was spent shopping in the bazaar, I managed 2 pairs of trousers a 2 tops by lunch (great skills on my part I feel!) which consisted of various 'sweets'! And then it was time to hit the pool and stay there for the majority of the afternoon until dinner!!! I looked like a prune, but I was a cool prune, and shattered after swimming far too many lengths!

Time to move on, into the heart of the Indian tourist area and leave the lovely pool behind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb