Amritsar - The Holy City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Amritsar

They say that No matter how hard you try there is always a right time for everything .This trip to Amritsar was long overdue , If I remember it right this was the third time this year that we planned to go...after two previous cancellations this time things started falling into place . The setting was right It was an extended weekend 18th Feb to 20th Feb and we luckily were able to book our train tickets.

On 19th we Got up early boarded the ever reliable Meru Cab and reached New Delhi station at 7am. The train was there at platform no. 1 gradually filling up with mostly Golden temple visitors. It started right on time @7.20 am and all of got settled in for a 6hrs+ journey ahead. The weather in Delhi was pleasant and a half-sleeved pullover was good enough.

Both I and Sonia took time for catch some sleep as there was nothing else to do. Reached Amritsar at around 1.30 pm and as per our plan we decided to check-in at the hotel to get ready for visiting Golden Temple.

We decided to have a quick bite at Bhrawan da dhaba on the way, The much hyped Amritsari Kulcha and Parantha thali , lassi were worth their weight in Gold. The food in Amritsar though laced with Butter still gets digested smoothly. Guess it has something to do with the water of Holy City which does the job, and also the weather which was cold was helping in savoring the Hot Amritsari delicacies.

We reached Golden Temple at 4 pm and I always say that the first look of Darbaar sahib while coming down the stairs give me goose bumps. It takes me to a plane where I kind of forget who I am and about my surroundings, only vision that I get then is of Golden Temple shining in all its Glory and loads of Golden Glitter surrounding it. My ears get numb and its gets silent all across till the time I reach the Holy Pond and Bow in respect.

Coming back, we decided to take a parikrama before getting into the queue for darshans. That day being a Sunday the devotee crowd was at its full strength. It took us a Good 2 hrs before both of us could reach inside and pay our respects. The time flies here and we got lucky to get 5 minutes inside to help us pray for the good being of all. We came out and sat down on the banks of the Holy pond. The feeling is tranquil and all you need to do is close your eyes and you are blessed. We went about taking rounds at all the sewas being conducted before bidding Good bye to the Golden Temple and hoping that we will get chance to visit again soon.

Coming out we took went to the surrounding market area to pick the renown Amritsari specialties like Papads and Vaddiyyan for folks back home. Reached Hotel at 9 pm had dinner and went off to sleep early as we had to catch a very early morning train the next day.

Got up at 4 am and reached Amritsar railway station in time to catch waiting Swarna Shatabdi which left at 5 am for New Delhi. Bidding Good bye to City Amritsar which welcomes you with open arms , serves you nothing but the very best , guides you to Tranquil, bids farewell with love .


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb