Drive by blessing


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
July 5th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another month and another blog. We’re still in India and Jen’s foot is still in a cast.

We left Varanasi, India’s holy city, and travelled north to Rishikesh. The Beatles put the place on the map in the 60’s when they stayed at the ashram of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The town is considered the yoga capital of the world so we too stayed at an ashram and did twice daily yoga classes, the first starting at 06:00. We would have liked it more except for the poses where we had to roar like a tiger or pant like a dog.

From here we travelled even further north to Dharamsala then onto Mcleod Ganj, home to the Dalai Lama and the exiled Tibetan Government. In the foothills of the Himalayas the weather was cooler and easier for us to pass the time while Jen’s foot healed. Nick tried another type of yoga and sitar classes and Jen did several courses in Tibetan and Indian Cookery. We were also very fortunate to be around when the Dalai Lama gave a rare talk at the Tibetan school. We lined the streets with hundreds of other people desperate to see him as he passed by in his car and Jen‘s convinced he noticed her foot and gave her a special blessing. We stayed in Mcleod Ganj longer than anywhere else we stayed on the whole tour and it was nice to have a bit of down time to take stock of the past 12 months.

However, we’ve now moved on. We’re currently in Amritsar close to the Pakistan border sweating in 46 degree heat. The other day we got up at 4 in the morning just to escape the high temperatures and to see the golden temple, one off India’s top tourist attractions. We’ve also been participating in one of India’s least popular tourist attractions and have spent a lot of time watching Wimbledon. (In air conditioned comfort of course)

We know it’s not the most action packed blog we’ve ever written but it’s hard to get around with only 3 good feet between us. Hopefully things will improve for the last leg of our journey and we’re off to the hospital tomorrow to see if the cast can come off. Wish us luck…


Love

N&J
X X




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

TrollTroll
Troll

He sat at the end of the bridge in Rishikesh gaurding it like a troll


5th July 2009

ahhh yess!
whoohhhh man, taking pictures of random people, is so brave! look forward to seeing you again mate, take care x
5th July 2009

Hope all goes well for Jen tomorrow. Love you both, stay safe till you're home. S x x
6th July 2009

Good Luck guys!
Hiya Jen and Nick, Just to say thanks for the latest installment! You sound like you are going to get home and be all chilled out and 'whatever maaaaan!' And Jen, you must cook us up some of your delicious recipes you will have mastered in your cookery courses! Cheers for the birthday card too, our Amy loved it! You both take care and not too long until you are back with us...just enjoy the time you have left. much love Zo x
6th July 2009

Varanashi being the holy city of INDIA.At varanashi the ganges is so free flowing and so the water is as cleen as mirror.It is the one of the landmark of hinduism where all the divarted feelings are shown and regret are been carried out by taking a bath in ganges.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb