Hygiene education at rural Indian village schools


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Orissa
March 2nd 2007
Published: March 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we spend the day focusing on hygiene education, visiting two schools in the Dhenkanal area. The children, approximately of primary school age, greet us with a Wel Come' chant, in two long lines, boys on the left and girls on the right, in their sky blue shirts and dresses. We observe the assembly which has a special performance of a water and sanitation song, and much cheer.
In pairs we then spend the morning with classes. Mike and I visit class 6, who are on average around 10 years of age. They are rather shy at first but soon join in. We play some games with a water and sanitation theme, and ask the children questions like when they wash their hands. I am very impressed with their knowledge and enthusiasm. It's amazing how much the children know about these issues, which is sadly still unusual for rural Indian villages in Orissa.
WaterAid helped fund a school sanitation block here, so now the children can go to the toilet at school. Since then, the number of children attending school has markedly improved.
Later on we are priviledged to present prizes in the school prize-giving ceremony, and then we each plant a tree in the school grounds.
These young faces are so happy and hopeful, and thanks to their knowledge of good hygiene practices, now have a brighter future. A play is performed which shows the process of government officials and NGOs educating the villagers, with all the objections, questions and community participation, which leads to the formation of a Village Water and Sanitation Committee and the eventual agreement of all the residents to become Open Defecation Free.
The second school we visit has the same cute blue uniforms and shy smiles, and a fantastic huge old tree in the grounds, under the shade of which we all sit. This school has recently added a handwashing station outside its toilet block, keeping everyone clean and healthy. The children today take part in an election game, where each votes by placing a stone in a bag with a picture of the behaviour they would choose. Of the whole school, only 4 children chose other options, with the rest voting for the latrines.
This has been such a positive and uplifting day, to see the next generation being so well informed about sanitation and hygiene. This area now has much better prospects.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Prize giving ceremonyPrize giving ceremony
Prize giving ceremony

Lisa from WaterAid presents a prize.


5th March 2007

great pix and words
Sarah - in at last and glad I did, as the photos and the words are really good. Really brings to life what all the effort we put in is doing in a country that few of us will have the privilege of visiting. Thank you for going on our behalf. Will send it round the team now. Don't know if you did radio today, but thanks for offering anyway. Hope tonight's formal do was enjoyable and that you enjoy the rest of the trip

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb