Indian Joint Families


Advertisement
Published: April 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Its common in India to find joint families. I myself have had the pleasure of staying with several families as a guest on various occasions.

A joint family is when the entire family (mom, dad, uncle, brother, cousin, sister, nephew, grandma, brothers sisters aunts cousin twice removed...) all live together in the same home.

WHOA. Wait a second...how is that even possible?!?!

Usually in the Joint families the family owns an entire building dedicated to their family (each couple having their own room and sharing only a common kitchen, living space and bathroom).

Now this concept might seem completely suicidal for us Americans who only deal with our family once a year on Thanksgiving...but here in India, anything less than daily interaction with your family is simply unheard of. The word 'family" here has a very different feeling and attitude when approached by the subject and even the more modernized students who are away in college still somehow manage to keep incredibly close to their family relationships.

So there you have it folks! Close families really do exist in this world...I myself have witnessed it, experienced it and felt it.

It really is possible to stay married to the same man for your entire life. It really is possible to get along with your siblings. It really is possible to live inside the same house with your entire family tree and still love them.

Please check out my website: https://www.kryskolumbustravel.com

Also: www.krystal-kelly.com

Advertisement



5th November 2013

Love your honest observations!
Hey Krystal! Having spent my last year in US and Germany, i understood how things work outside. But still when i try explaining India to my friends from abroad who plan to visit here soon, i found it quite hard. But today i read most of your posts. And i like the honesty with which you put your thoughts and experience in your posts. I would definitely recommend my friends your posts so that they can come mentally prepared for the typical Indian curry filled with the plethora of emotions, experiences, smells and flavours. Thank You. Hope you have more amazing experiences here. Have a nice stay and keep us posted.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb