New Delhi tour


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 28th 2005
Published: January 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was very difficult to sleep last night with the constant horns outside and all sorts of weird noises in the hotel. The hotel is the downer of the trip so far. We have very little hot water, only a trickle. However, the breakfast was great - chai, masala dosai, and uttapam.

Sanjay picked us up in a white ambassador. First, we went to the Laxshmi Narain temple, but we didn’t go inside as it required us to leave our cameras at the door. First day of the trip and I am not that trusting yet.

Next, we went to Qtab Minar and explored the entire area. From there, we saw the modern B’Hai “Lotus” temple, and then had lunch at a restaurant called “Chicken Inn”. In America, Indian restaurants are called “India Palace”, “Taste of India”, or even using fancy Hindi words. Here, the “Indian” restaurant (as they are all Indian restaurants here, in a way) just use simple English words to get the point across. The question is, does “Chicken Inn” sound like an exotic meal or is it simply a homey name that travelers are drawn to?

Next, we went to Humayun’s Tomb. Humayun’s Tombs, morelike. There were several tombs at this complex and we spent some time exploring them all.

It was a quick visit to India Gate. I really didn’t see what all the fuss was about.

Sanjay brought us to a jewelry store, despite our protestations. Of course, I bought something - a black star set in a white gold on a chain. It is my birthstone according to Indian astrology, and this is my birthday trip after all. Besides, black is my favorite color and the black star is only available in India.

Next, he really wanted us to go to a textile/fabric store, but we were tired. Shortly after this, he informed us that he had to go to the airport and brought us back to the Hotel Good Palace. He didn’t seem very happy with our tip either.

Either Qtab Minar or Humayun’s Tomb was my favorite, park-like settings with lots of ruins. I’m not sure what was more impressive, the towering Qutb Minar or the majestic Mughal tomb.

Overall, India is not as bad as people say. It is easy to turn touts away. “Ji Nahi” does it. Same phrase for beggars, although they can be more persistent. The touts were more persistent in Turkey and Cambodia! The ones here seem a bit tired. The food is great, tasting pretty much like it does in America. The pollution is horrible and is making me sick, but the environment overall isn’t as gross as I had expected. It’s no Switzerland, but it is no dirtier than parts of NYC. Traffic isn’t horrible either, nor is the driving that bad. These people would drive comfortably in Boston. I really don’t know what the big deal is. People who write big diatribes on the internet about hating India probably haven’t left the country before and were ill-prepared for the realities of developing nations. I don’t see the problem with India at all.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb