The story of my life


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 27th 2008
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

muslimmuslimmuslim

i look the part i suppose
Scene:
Hot Delhi afternoon in late October outside of a popular restaurant.

A young man wanting to study Sufi devotional music (Qawwali) is waiting outside of a restaurant that he has been told to be at by 2:30 in order to meet a possible teacher (guru). Having the knowledge that few, in any, outsiders ever get the chance to study Qawwali (since a vast majority of the musical teachings are passed down only through families) the senior college student arrives 5 minutes before the appointed time and waits patiently so as to not miss out on this (excuse the cliche) once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.


Scene:
Still a hot Delhi Afternoon in late October outside of a still popular restaurant

It is now 25 minutes passed the assigned meeting time. The young hopeful beings to become restless and has trouble sitting still in the oppressive afternoon sun. Frantically searching with all of his senses, he spots a man with a large beard and traditional starch-white Muslim clothing walking toward the restaurant. The man's gaze falls on the seated student. Brimming with newfound hope, the student smiles tentatively. The man reveals a broad grin and deepset smile lines in his face
crowdcrowdcrowd

View of Qawwali
and waves his hand. Heartened, the student-to-be waves back and begins to stand. The man then proceeds to walk past the confused foreigner and greets a few similarly dressed men behind the now dis-heartened student. Slumping back into his chair, the restless student begins to angrily fiddle with his pencil.

Scene:
Still a Delhi Afternoon in late October outside of a ever-increasingly popular restaurant, though not quite as hot.

It is now 45 minutes passed the appointed time and the once oppressive heat is beginning to subside as the sun passes lower in the sky and shadows begin their slow, creeping march across the land. The frustrated composition major decides to try and find a public phone to call the missing Qawwal (a term for a person who sings Qawwali music). Gathering his things: a notebook, two pencils, a book and a water bottle, he walks away from the restaurant and towards a local phone booth.

As he leaves and heads down an adjacent street, from behind him comes a voice, "Derek, right?"

Scene:
Inside the noisy, air-conditioned restaurant in late October. It is now nearly an hour after the appointed meeting time.

Across from
in actionin actionin action

a qawwali group
the study-abroad student sits a man of average height and above average weight. He wears a ring on each ring finger, one a blue stone, the other a sterling-silver ring with an ornate design carved upon it. On his right wrist an expensive-looking watch ticks away silently. His face is covered by a light scruff of a beard and his hair is short and cropped close to his head, though it looks to be in need of a trimming. His western style jeans are well-worn and his shirt portrays the symbols of 6 major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism) and it reads "God is too big to fit into one religion". Finding no words in his mouth, the student sips his bottled water and watches the Qawwal hungrily devour the two sandwiches on hamburger buns that he ordered before sitting down.
"So? What's your story?", the Qawwal asks in an American shaped, Islamic inflected, and Indian colored tone.

Over the next twos hours, the Qawwal, named Dhruv Sangari, spoke of everything from the foundations of Sufism and stories of "The Prophet" to sex-obsessed Kathak dance instructors and the finer points of singing slightly sharp in Qawwali
expensiveexpensiveexpensive

there it is
(as is required by Qawwals).

By the end of the conversation, a new meeting time was set and a lesson schedule was planned. The Qawwal says that he must go to the nearby barbershop to get a haircut (which, he admits, is why he decided upon that particular restaurant for their meeting). The Qawwali-to-be would learn how to sing, perform, and (hopefully) how to be a Qawwal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

sitarsitar
sitar

close up my my sitar
OdissiOdissi
Odissi

this is Preetee (not spelled correctly) who helped us prepare our odissi dance all decked out. she is from denmark...i think
more dancemore dance
more dance

a professional dancer
"Party Time""Party Time"
"Party Time"

Pre-Diwali Celbrations
this is for zackthis is for zack
this is for zack

this speaker was in a rickshaw....and yes sound was escaping it


27th October 2008

look the part?
A little to pale I'm thinking, but what an experience. I can't wait till you get home. I'm hoping there will be a party with lots of pictures and stories. (and maybe some Indian food?)
27th October 2008

I just love reading about your life in India and the pictures are great! That beat up old camera is working out great -- get shocked by it lately?! Continue to learn, grow and enjoy. Be safe and make smart choices. We are really looking forward to your return! We love you and are proud of you! Proud Mama :-)
27th October 2008

Derek, the sitar is gorgeous - will you be able to get it back home with you? Thanks for keeping us all updated, I'm always glad to see your posts though I'm a bit sad that I missed your calls twice last week Keep having an amazing time! Sarah
28th October 2008

Wow! Way cool!
Kelly just forwarded your blog to me.....what a cool experience..you look happy and in your element. I am so glad it is going well!! Continue to enjoy. thinking of you sue
29th October 2008

just saying hi
Hey Derek! Your blogs are great, so vivid - well written. Jake was concerned about you last night after hearing more about problems in India right now. He can't wait to see you and hopes to be able to play video games with you if we see you at Christmas. Ry and Mia both say, 'hi Derek!' They are busy playing make believe, Mia is a baby in a cage or something - yikes! Oh, Ryan adds - have a nice trip! Love, Jake Ry Mia Joe and Me:)

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb