Tuk-tuk tastic


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
January 8th 2008
Published: January 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Speeding Tuk-TuksSpeeding Tuk-TuksSpeeding Tuk-Tuks

Actually quite a quiet road in Delhi. Notice the Sikh festival taking place on the other side of the road - we have no idea what it's about but they seem to be enjoying themselves
Off we set deep into the heart of New Delhi (a place that resembles Washington D.C. more than the bazars of Old Delhi) to its tree lined avenues, perfectly straight roads and eerie silence.

We were, however, being taken in a state of the art, laws-of-physics-defying, machine from heaven. This was not a ordinary run-of-the-mill Asian tuk-tuk (autorickshaw) no no - it was a Delhi tuk-tuk

To build a Delhi tuk-tuk one must think small, really small, almost lawnmower small, add some side-impact protection systems (plastic sheeting - one side only), remove mirrors and replace with secondary horn (in case first is not working/loud enough) and add shrines to the various dieties of please-don't-let-me-die-today.

A delhi tuk-tuk is, however, a communal activity and passengers must join in. One must remember to lean into corners, breath petrol fumes and on no account should they have any knees.

Unfortunately there is no USB port available at the moment and so hence no pictures but suffice to say that if you have seen a tuk tuk before then try to imagine a baby one and you could be approaching the size of a delhi tuk-tuk. Almost makes you regret the extra uttapam ... almost.

Oh and we visted the National Museum and saw an Indian-made pistol with a 'made in Birmingham' stamp on the butt ....


On the Way to the Golden Temple



Not wanting to stay in Delhi too long (the pollution alone is reason enough) we headed North, as far North as we're going to go in India, to visit the holiest of Sikh sites 'The Golden Temple' at Amritsar in the heart of the Punjab and only 30km from the Pakistan border. In fact it's the only open border crossing into Pakistan and site of the now quite famous (due to Mr Palin not us) border closing ceremony.

And boy do they have some great hats. More later (including pictures of the hats)(really exciting hats)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



9th January 2008

tul-tuk
ha.. great humourous description of tuk tuk.. though I know travelling in it, is that not as humourous.. wish you safe and pleasent tourism.. -ashish

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb