Delhi: hot, dusty and full of monkeys!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 14th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After gathering up bags and getting a cab at the Delhi airport, we crossed fingers and hoped our driver knew where to take us! It was quite the journey from the airport to our hotel - maybe 10 km or so - and with all the traffic it was quite the ride....all for the whopping charge of $6.50 or so. Needless to say, we tipped our driver handily, mostly as a 'thank you' for getting us to our destination safely!

Our room at the Hotel Ajanta was fine...nothing fancy to be sure, but it was clean and the food was wonderful. We called room service for some Hyderbad Chicken, Veg Korma, Coke, beer and a Kingfisher, a bargain at $8 or so total.

The next day we bought our bus tickets to Dharamsala (including a healthy "donation" to the hotel...our "convenience fee") and had the afternoon to tool around. We shared a tuk-tuk into Connaught Place and made the rounds, people watching the whole way. It was hot, dusty, and crowded -- that is about all you need to know about Delhi!

Ok....not quite....the highlight of our day in Delhi was yet to come. We retired to the hotel to wait for the car to the bus station (another adventure -- eek! hehe) and decided a beer in the rooftop restaurant was in order. We went up and placed our order, which evidently is quite the ordeal, as they have to send someone to get the beer from a market down the street - it took about 20 minutes!! Anyway, we got a Coke in the meantime and just relaxed, enjoying the view of the hazy skyline.

Then I saw some movement on an adjacent rooftop....yes, it was a monkey! It was totally bizarre to see right in the city, and imagine our surprise when we saw more and more of them hopping up and over onto the roof!! Soon there was a parade of 30-40 monkeys, and a big one on the roof of our own hotel. Needless to say ordering dinner was not a good idea at that point!! Mr. Baboon moved on and we ordered some dinner -- afterall, we had a 12 hr bus ride in our very near future.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Vacation: a time to relax!Vacation: a time to relax!
Vacation: a time to relax!

Beer and a nap on the rooftop of Delhi
Monkeys on parade!!Monkeys on parade!!
Monkeys on parade!!

Monkeys roaming the rooftops near Hotel Ajanta, New Delhi, India.


17th October 2007

tuk tuks, beer, and monkies, oh my!
so glad you're able to snap pics along the way! *waves from other side of the world* woohoo!
17th October 2007

Monkeys!!
Hey, that monkey has got a monkey on its back! I think there's a patch or gum for that...?

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb