To catch you up....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 14th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok....well, now that we have our bearings, I'll back up a little and let you know what has been happening since we touched down on Asian soil. Actually, back that up a bit....our adventure began in Ithaca and the second day's talks by H.H.D.L were wonderful.

The first was an Interfaith Dialog on World Peace and it was beautiful. I only wish cameras could have been present, as I'm not sure when I will ever see a stage full of people, each held in high regard for their respective religion and faith, all standing together in the common goal of world peace.

It was quite the sight to see a Native American Clan Mother next to Dr. Dorothy Cotton (who worked with Dr. Martin Luther King), a Catholic priest, a Rabbi, a Muslim, and several others surrounding the Dalai Lama. It was a powerful and beautiful display and we were lucky to take part!

The second talk was more involved and admittedly a bit over my head in the teachings, but it was still wonderful and worthwhile. We went from there to the lovely bus station in Ithaca and within an hour we were headed to NYC.

After arriving at Port Authority around 10pm Thursday night, we navigated the subway and made it to Jersey City to stay with Julian's friend Maren for the night. She is fabulous, by the way, and I was glad we got a chance to visit the next morning before she left for work! We took the train to the WTC site and I saw Ground Zero for the first time. After all these years there is still much ruble....amazing. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to spend in the city and we went back to Maren's to gather things up and head to Newark Airport.

After checking in and getting through the gates, we decided it was time for a beer and to let vacation officially begin! We passed by the first couple of places and settled on an overpriced airport bar near our gate. As we sat there decompressing, we overheard the two gentlemen next to us speaking of their trip to India -- they were on the same flight we were! Funny how sometimes you can end up in just the spot you're supposed to be.

Jeff and N.P work together and were heading to N.P's homeland to visit India for 1 month. We had the best conversations with them for 2 hrs before the flight left and learned much from N.P about what to expect. His family has homes in several Indian cities, and he is supposed to email us with more ideas of what to do in Agra. We had beers and great conversation with Jeff and N.P in preparation for a fabulous trip. 😊

The 14 or so hour flight was long long LONG, and the only drawback was our funtime talking to them distracted us from getting snacks and water -- d'oh!!! Ah well, we made it and all was well. Landing in Delhi and the ride to the hotel were quite the experience -- that will be the next entry (someone is thirsty. heh)

More to follow....hopefully with pics if the card reader cooperates!!!

Cheers,
julie

Advertisement



15th October 2007

You're here!
Hi Julie, how have your travels been in India so far? Enjoying momos and thukpa? I am currently in Rishikesh (in the plains, no majestic mountains) but I am heading out to Nepal for a couple of weeks! Yeah! Keep me updated on your experiences, hope all is well with the teeth....
16th October 2007

worldtraveler
hee! look at you!!! i'm soooo psyched you are doing this! (and glad the toof didn't interfere! owie!) so great to be able to follow along! very inspiring! i'm getting travelbug itchy now! yay you! -shan
17th October 2007

BETTY!!
Is she back?

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb