Well Known Fairs and Festivals of Sikkim..........


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The festivals of this place offer a unique opportunity to indulge and enjoy the festival with local communities. Experience the fairs and festivals, which are very different and unknown. Have an unforgettable experience. People are different, languages are different, culture and traditions are different and even some festivals are different with its rituals…………………
So, know the unique fairs and festivals of Sikkim................
Here I go...........



FAIRS AND FESTIVALS OF SIKKIM



Nepalese/Hindu Festivals



Dasain or Vijaya Dasami: - This festival generally falls during the Nepali month of Ashoja, which coincides, with the English month of September - October. It has full ten days of religious rituals followed by offerings to Goddess Durga, the symbol of Power. The festival symbolizes the victory of good over evil and commemorates the killing of demon called Mahisasura by Goddess Durga. This day elder people bless the younger ones by smearing tika on their forehead. They offer some money or gifts as a blessings. As per the legend this practice of putting tika commemorates the coronation of Bibhisana, as a King of Lanka by Lord Rama, after staying the demon king Ravana.

Tyohar or Tihar (Laxmi Puja / Diwali): - This festival is generally celebrated a fort night after Vijaya Dasami. Tihar, the festival of lights is one of the most dazzling of all Hindu festivals. In this festival we worship Goddess Laxmi, the Goddess of wealth. During the festival all the houses in the city and villages are decorated with lit oil lamps. Thus during the night the entire village or city looks like a sparkling diamond. This festival is celebrated in five days starting from the thirteenth day of the waning moon in October. We also refer to tihar as 'Panchak Yama’, which literally means 'the five days of the underworld lord'. We also worship 'yamaraj' in different forms in these five days. In other words this festival is meant for life and prosperity.

Goddess Laxmi is the wife of almighty Lord Vishnu. She was formed from the ocean and she has all the wealth of the seas. She sits on a full-grown lotus and her steed is the owl. On the third day of the festival at the stroke of midnight she makes a world tour on her owl looking how she is worshipped.

According to some legend it commemorates the return of legendary Rama after completing fourteen years of exile. He reached his kingdom during dark moonless night of Aausni and hence to light up the way people lighted butter lamps, which is observed till day. It is also believed that Rama was then coroneted as the King of Ayodhya, which bought all kinds of happiness. The people became prosperous with all kinds of material wealth and peace prevailed all over the Kingdom. Thus, came the practice of worshipping Laxmi, the Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity.

There is also another story, which tells why this revelry is celebrated so widely. Once there was a king, who was living his last days of life. His astrologer had told him that a serpent would come and take his life away. The king did not want to die so he has asked the astrologer if there was any way to escape death. The king was advised to sleep with lit oil lamps all around his bed and decorate the palace with oil lamps on laxmi puja day. So goddess laxmi would talk to the serpent not to take his life. It did happen, the serpent was convinced by goddess laxmi. The serpent took the king to Yama Raj and told him that it was not yet the king's time to come to the underworld. So Yama Raj opened his ledger and in it the kings remaining age was written zero, but the serpent cleverly put seven before zero. Thus the king lived for seventy more years. So onwards tihar is widely celebrated worshipping the underworld and goddess laxmi.

The first day of tihar is known as 'Kag tihar', crows day. Crow is an underworld henchman. On this day crows are offered food on a plate made out of leaves in the morning before anyone in the house takes in food. Crow the messenger of death is honored on the first day of tihar.

The second day is called 'Kukur tihar', dogs day. A dog plays many roles in our society. We have dogs in our houses as guardian of the house. As the legend also says that there is a dog at yama's gate guarding the gate to the underworld. The dog is also the steed of the fearful Bhairab, the god of destruction. So on this day a big red tika is put on a dog's forehead and a beautiful garland around the neck. After worshipping the dog, it is given very delicious meal. This day the saying 'every dog has his day' comes true; for even a stray dog is looked upon with respect. We pray to the dog to guard our house as he guards the gate of the underworld and to divert destruction away from our homes. On this day you can see dogs running around with garlands on their neck in Sikkim.

The third day is the most important day of the festival. It is called 'Laxmi puja', the day when we worship goddess of wealth. On this day, early in the morning the cow is worshipped. Tika is put on her head and a garland around her neck then she feasts with delicious food. A cow also symbolizes wealth and she is the most holy animal for Hindus.

In the evening goddess laxmi is worshipped. Days before the house are cleansed and decorated. For goddess likes clean and tidy places. In the evening a small potion of the house out side the main door is painted red with red mud and an oil lamp is lit on it. A pathway is made from here to the place where the old money box and valuables are kept in the house that is the puja room. All the Nepalese have a box where from generation to generation money is put every year worshipping goddess laxmi. This money is never used unless extreme emergency. The entire house is decorated with lit oil lamps in every doors and windows. Laxmi, goddess of wealth is worshipped performing the traditional rituals and when the rituals are over then gambling in the house starts. This is a festival when gambling is not illegal. On this day throughout the evening groups of girls come to houses singing song of praise of the goddess (popularly known as bhailani group) and they are taken as guests and given gifts, there is a special song for this occasion. This day the entire place is lively through out the night.

The fourth day is bit different. Today the things you worship depend on your specific cultural background. Normally most of the people perform 'Guru puja', ox worshipping. On this day throughout the evening groups of boys come to houses singing song (popularly known as Dause group) . They are taken as guests and given gifts (mainly money). The ox is worshipped with tika, garland and then a delicious meal is fed to it. On the other hand people who follow lord Krishna perform 'Gobhardan puja'. These people build a small hill made out of cow dung and put some grass on it then do puja on it. This puja symbolizes the act of lord Krishna when he lifted the gobhardan hill and saved millions of people and cows from floodwater.

The last day of tihar is 'Bhai tika', putting tika on your brothers by your sisters.

Bhai Tika: - The festival is celebrated on the fifth and final day of the Festival of Light which is called Diwali in India and 'Tihar' or 'Panchak Yama' in Nepal. As Bhai Tika is celebrated as a part of the Tihar celebrations the festival is also famously known as 'Bhai Tihar'. Brothers and sisters desperately wait for the arrival of this joyous festival. Sister's apply sacred tika on brother's forehead and pray to Lord Yama, the God of Death, for his long life and prosperity.

Popular legend behind Bhai: Tika narrates the story of Lord Yamaraj and his twin sister Yamuna. When after a gap of several years Yamaraj visited his sister on the auspicious 'Dooj' Day he was received warmly by Yami. She applied tilak on his forehead, performed arti of him and gave a sumptuous meal to eat. Delighted with sister's warmth and affection Yamaraj announced that anyone who visits his sister on Dooj day and eats a meal with her would never be hurled to hell.

Nepali people also believe a popular tale that says a sister saved his brother's life from the clutches of Yamraj by applying a sacred tilak on her brother's forehead. Since then the festival is being religiously celebrated in Nepal.

On this day sisters invite brother and his family to her house. Following the rituals of Bhai Tika sister draws three mandaps or boundaries at a selected place. These boundaries symbolize Lord Ganesh, Janmaraj (the God of Birth) and Yamaraj respectively. She then performs Puja of the deities and makes the brother sit on a mat. In Nepal, a unique 'Paanch Rangi Tika' i.e. a tika consisting of five colours (red, green, blue, yellow and white) is lovingly applied by sister on the forehead of brother. Sister prays for brother's long life and draws a boundary (mandap) around her brothers with oil using doob grass. This means that no one including Yamaraj can cross the boundary guarded by sister's love. Sister gives a 'shagun' of fruits, sweets and some gifts to brother and after the ceremonies are over brother blesses sister and pamper her with loads of Bhai Tika Gifts.

Ram Nawami / Chaite Dasain: - This festival is observed during the Nepali month of Chitra i.e. around end of April. It is the celebration of New Year and marks the birth of Lord Rama. It is said that he was the reincarnation of Lord Vishnu in human form to slain and relive the earth from the cruelty of intelligent demon king called Ravana, who forcefully took away Sita, the wife of Rama to a country called Lanka and kept her against her wishes. It is generally believed that the festival of Dasain or Vijaya Dasami was used to be observed at this time in the past. But the time was not suitable for festivity as it falls during the hot season and people fill ill after eating. Thus the same was shifted to coller month of Ashoja about September - October month of English calendar.

Maghey Sakranti (Makkar Sankranti): - It falls on the first day of Magha i.e the 10th month of Nepalese calendar or sometime in mid of January. Though this festival doesn’t have much religious significance, it marks the gradual change of season as the sun move towards Tropic of Cancer. As is related to Sun, the people worship Surya, the Sun God on this day. During this festival bathing ceremony called Makker is observed. People take bath at early in the morning at rivers and streams. People eat Tarul (Wild Yams and Tubers). There are no exact reasons available for eating Tarul but legend has it that once Gurkha soldiers led by Damabar Pandey had fight so fiercely and long that they had to subsist on Wild Yams and Tubers, which they dug up in jungle. Some say after this incidence people started eating wild Yams and Tubers to commemorate the events.

Jamasthami: - The festival is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Lord Krishna. This falls on the Astami or eight day of bhadra month of Nepali Calendar, which sometimes during August - September. People remain awake till mid night and prey Lord Krishna. He was reincarnation of Lord Vishnu in human form to slain and relive the earth from cruel and self-styled God King called Kansha, who had perpetrated Violence and unleashed terror among the devotees of God.

Sonam Lhochhar: - Tamang communities celebrate this festival. It symbolizes the arrival of New Year. Lho means year and Chhar means new. It is observed during Magha on Sukla pratipada of the Nepali Calendar, which is some time during February. It is said that after enlightenment the time came for Lord Buddha to go to heaven so he invited all the sentiment beings. Among them 12 different animals came to bid farewell and Lord Buddha named each year sequentially after them, as they came to him.

The first one to arrive was rat so was the name given to first year followed by bull, tiger, rabbit, garuda, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, hen, dog and pig. Since then the Tamang have started celebrating Lhochhar. The first day of Lhochhar is Chyepagi when all the relatives and neighbors are invited to the alter room where two glasses of millet - beer is kept on a table. On both sides are kept white flowers of Totola (Oroxylum Indicum). In the middle of the glasses, mixture of butter, holy water and flour kept in a plate and Chumis (butter lamps) are lit along with incense sticks. The offerings are made to the deities, which later distributed among the family. These offerings made are for welcoming the New Year and to ward off all the diseases and miseries and for the well being of all the people. On this day people offer thukpa (noodles), fruits and sweets. On second day called Cheypa Ni offerings are made to deities and Gods, This followed by Cheypa Sumpo when lighted chimi (diya/lamp) placed on rice cup is circulated in all the rooms of house. Married daughter visit parents with gifts wile parents offer Khada (white saffron scarf), money and blessings to them. On fourth day is Chyepa Bali when Tashi Tagey (eight lucky signs) is made and is offered to the three supreme holy ones. After the fourth day people visit learned scholars and incarnates in monasteries to know the year ahead and hoist prayer flags or lungtas for well being and good luck. The fifth day is called the Cheypa Nga when scholars and incarnates are invited to the house to offer prayers for the well being of the family and the people as a whole. On the last day the people gather to celebrated with singing and dancing at the beat of Damphu, the traditional drum.

Tamu Lochar: - This festival is celebrated by Gurung Communities in the state. It is symbosizes the arrival of Tamu New Year. It falls on Pus pandra i.e 15th day of the nine month of Nepali Calendar, which is sometime during December. This marks the celebration after a year’s hardwork. This month is barred from any kind of ploughing and digging. Young boys and girls gather at a marrymaking place called Rodhi Ghar for performing Ridhi Naach.

According to legends, the ancestors of Tamus known as Khemas did a long meditation and Lord Buddha himself appeared to them on this day of Pus pandra and elightenced them. Thus, this day was very auspicious to them and they then started the Tamu Buddhism. On this day the Lo (birth sign) changes and is considered propitious for calculating the good and bad scope of particular lo whereby the monks declare specific pujas to be performed for each lo. All types of decisions are taken and debts are repaid on this date. The festivity lasts for three days. The first day commences with the burning of pine boughs, erecting prayer flags (lungtas) and decorating prayer rooms. The day ends with tika smearing ceremony, distributing holy string (shungdi) and burning of incense. In the evening Chimis (butter lamps) are lit which can be anything between 7,14,21 or 108 numbers together with the singing of hymns. This is also a day of blessing and tika smearing to new daughter - in - laws. The second day is usually spent in prayers, burning of incense and lighting butter lamps. The third day is called maitee pujney deen. On this day daughters go to their respective homes. They make a rongoli of star of about one square feet with three circles surrounding it. The five corners of star are then filled with five colors in order of blue, red, white, yellow and green. Each of these colors signifies sky, sun, clouds, sunrays and earth. Then the daughters offer fruits and food to the parents. The gifts of sugar and fruits are then offered to the neighbors. The sheep meat is considered delicacy on this occasion. The evenings are for throwing parties and enjoying.

Sakewa: - Kirat Rai community celebrates the festival. They worship and appease the Shakti known as Macha Koma. Theis nine days festival falls on full moon day of second Nepali month of Baisakha. Which is sometime during the month of May - June. During the occasion offerings are made to mother earth, which is the provider of life saving food grains. The ceremony called Bhumi puja is performed by the good yield of crops like maize, millet, rice etc. People start new work in the field after sakewa. The final ninth day is the main day. The festival marks the beginning of new season. For performing the ceremony a flat land surrounded by hill are chosen through the priests called Mongpas.

A dance called Saeli is performed on this day. This dance symbolizes the prayers made to God for good harvesting and harmony in the region. Ancestors are remembtered and worshipped with offerings. On individual houses a formation is built with the placing of three stones at the corner forming a triangle. This place symbolizes the earth and is known as Hengkha Malung (Mother Earth). Then a fireplace is built near it with three stones and prayer is made to fire by lighting it. This three stones assembly is called Samkha-Lung and each stone is called by different names of dewalung meaning stones symbolizing God, sawalung meaning stone representing males and chaekulung meaning stone representing females. These names differ for different sub sects of Rai Communities. The offerings are made to the ancestors by burning of various types of foods and grains. The offerings are made to the ancestors are made in two ways called Mang-burma or ubhau-lee and pachuwa or udhauli. The offerings of cock, milet beer, ginger, banana leaf and acheta (mixture of ginger and rice) is made in turn during Udhau-lee.

During Mangbhuma or Udhau-lee, offerings of cooked meats are made to the ancestors with the chanting of spells called Mudhum and sprinkling of Jhar (millet beer) and Achheta (mixture of ginger and rice) kept in the head of cock’s head. During Pachuwa orUdaul-lee, offerings of ginger is made to the trinity i.e. Brahma, Vishnu and shiva represented by Chula (cooking place) along with the chanting of Mudhum. The offerings of new rice stem, new ginger plant, rice, food, meat, fruits etc are made to ancestors which also includes the items for showing like bow and arrow, spear, axe, cock etc.

Teyongsi Sirijunga Sawan Tongnam: - This symbolizes the birth anniversary of Teyongsi Sirijunga who is considered as an incarnate of Sirijunga, the Limboo King and investor of Limboo script. It is observed during full moon day of Mangsir month (Mangsirey Purnima) of Nepali calendar, which is sometime during Decembter.

Lepcha,Bhutia and Tibetan/Buddhist Festivals



Lhabab Dhuchen: This festival symbolizes the descent of Lord Buddha from 33rd heaven after his mother and preaching her the Dharma. It falls on the 22nd day of the 9th Month of Tibetan calendar, which around October - November. Dhuchen means festival, Lha means heaven and Bab means descent.

Legends goes that Queen Maha Maya, the mother of Lord Buddha, did not live long after his birth and took rebirth in Trayastrimsa or the heaven of the thirty Gods. After attaining Enlightenment, Lord Buddha through spiritual powers came to know about the whereabouts of his mother and at the age of forty-one ascended to the heavens along with thousands of his followers. Lord Buddha stayed in heaven for three months during which he delivered sermons to his mother and other celestial beings. Lord Buddha had left behind on earth one of his disciples, Maudgalyayana, as his representative. This disciple and other devotees of the Lord could not bear the long separation and longed to hear his preaching, Maugalyayana, who possessed miraculous powers, was exhorted to go up to the heaven to request the Lord to return back to the earth. The gods were not willing to let Lord Buddha return back to earth but Maugalyana suggested that as the earthly beings did not have the powers to visit heaven, the celestial being could come to the earth to attend his preaching. Lord Buddha finally relented and descended to the earth at a place called Sankasya along a triple ladder that was prepared especially for the occasion by Viswakarma, the God of Machines.

Saga Dawa: - This festival symbosizes the Birth, Enlightanment and achieving Nirvana by Lord Buddha. It falls on the 15th day of the 4th month of Tibetan Calendar, which coincides; with the ful moon day on Baisakha month of Nepali calendar, which is around May - June. Therefore this festival is also called Buddha Purnima. Buddha was born at Lumbini in Nepal and achieved enlightenment and Buddha hood at Budh Gaya and died on this same day and month.

Pang Lhabsol: - This festival is quite unique to Sikkim. It was popularised by the third Chogyal (king) of Sikkim “Chakdor Namgyal”. In this festival the snow range of Kanchendzonga is worshiped for its unifying powers. This festival marks the signing of treaty of brotherhood between Lepchas and Bhutias by Khye Bumsa and Tetong Tek when the local deities were invoked to witness the occasion.

In fact Phang means witness. On this day, the guardian deity is portrayed by masked Lama dances as a fiery red-faced deity with a crown of five skulls, riding a snow lion. To lighten the mood of the spectators, jesters called 'Atchars' play antics during the Chaams. The third Chogyal of Sikkim, Chakdor Namgyal is credited for choreographing the Pang-Toed dance performed by monks on this day. It is celebrated on 15th day of the 7th month of Tibetan calendar, which is around august - September.

Drukpa Tsechi: - This festival symbolizes the first preaching of Lord Buddha at Sarnath. It falls on 4th day of the 6th month of Tibetan calendar. At the age of 28 Sakya Prince Siddhartha Gautama left his worldly pleasures and Kingdom in search of knowledge and answer to sufferings of human beings. He along with his five friends started the meditation at Bodh Gaya. However his friends could not face the hardship of meditation and left him alone. But siddhartha Gautama was determined to face the difficulties and hardships in order to achieve the knowledge and finally he achieved the enlightenment. He then proceeded to Sarnath to preach the knowledge he acquired and there he met his five friends again. They instantly became his disciples and Buddha preached them the first sermons on this day.

Nyempa Guzom: - This is not a festival in actual since but a day of caution. It falls on the 6th and 7th day of the 11th month of Tibetan calendar, which sometime around December - January. This is observed few days after Loosung. The day is fixed based on the astrological predictions. On this date bad effects or energy of all the nine planets fall in one orbit making it the most inauspicious day of the year. It is believed that nothing should be done on this day. Even a good deed performed yields highly negative result.

Loosung: - It symbolizes the Sikkimese New Year. It falls on the 1st day of the 11th month of Tibetan calendar, which is around December - January.

Taking cue from a good harvest and praying for even better prospects for the next crop, the festival is marked by Chaam dancing's at the monasteries at Palace (Tsu-La-Khang), Phodong and Rumtek. The dances symbolize the exorcizing of the evil spirits of the year and the welcoming of the good spirit of the New Year. It is best observed in rural Sikkim. Archery competitions and festivities mark the event. Men become gods during the dances and don attires with mystical symbols.

Losar: - It symbolizes the Tibetan New year. It falls on the 1st day of the 1st month of Tibetan calendar, which is around February.

The Tibetan youth take to the streets on the day performing the Yak dance and throwing campa (Flour) as a way of greeting and welcoming the New Year with shouts of "Tashi Delek". The Tibetan community exerts itself in the more than weeklong festivity with their brocades, jewelry, songs, dances and picnics.

Guru Rimpoche’s Trungkar Tsechu: - This celebration marks the birth anniversary of Guru Padmasambhava. It is held on 10th day of the 7th month of Tibetan calendar. On this day, Sikkimese Buddhist pays homage to the master who first blessed Sikkim as holy land, Guru Rimpoche. The master is believed to have firmly establish Buddhism in Sikkim and introduce his form of Tantric Buddhism to the Himalayas after vanquishing ‘demons’ obstructing the growth of dharma in Tibet. The day commemorates his victory over these demons and the devout believe that virtues accrued by recitation of mantras on this day are two-fold.

Bum Chhu: - This festival is held in Full moon night on 14th day of the first month of the Tibetan calendar at Tasiding Monastery. It is sait that Guru Padmasambhava while in Tibet created the Bum (Vase) full of water with the power of secret spells and chanting of Om Mani Padme Hung (Mantra). Later this miracle was replicated by Nagdakpa Lama called Sempa Rinzing Chempo with the chanting of secret spells and instructed Chogyal Pluntsog Namgyal to continue with the tradition. The first ceremony was held during 1646 A.D. After 1647 A.D, Tashiding the place believed to be blessed by Guru Padmasamabhava was chosen for the yearly celebration. The vase is filled up with the water collected from the River Rathong Chu (river) and dept under lock and seal of the Chogyal of Sikkim in miniature mansion called Cho-Sham. It is believed that the level of water in the vase foretells the future. The vase is opened during the festival based on the Tibetan calendar. Three tings (cups) of water is first taken out. The first cup is meant for the Royal Family, the second is meant for the lamas or monks and the third is distributed among the devotees. Sometimes the level of the holy water in the vase increases and it decreases at other times and sometimes is found dusty. When the water level increases or the Bum is full it prophesies a bad omen for the coming year. The year will be marked with floods, bad cultivation, famines and diseases. The murky water indicates conflicts and unrest. If the vase is filled unto the required level it prophases prosperity, peace and happiness. The vase is then again filled up to maintain the quantity of 21 tings (cups) with fresh water collected from the Rothang Chu.

Namsoong or Nambun: - This festival falls on the 10th month of the Tibetan calendar that corresponds to December. Legends has it that Tamsang Thing was created by God Itbu Debu Rom from snow of Mount Pandim to save Lepcha people from Demon King called Lasso Moong Ponu. They fought for 12 years and ended in the death of the Demon. This festival is thus the celebration of victory over evil. It also symbolizes the advent of New Year and people gather to enjoy good harvest of the season.

Tendong Lho Rum Faat: - This festival falls during July - August month. It is the worshipping of Tendong Hill located in South Sikkim. Legend has it that during the early creation when the mountains were being formed, there occurred a big earthquake destroying the lake of Naho and Nathor. This created Teesta and Ranjit rivers. These rivers unleashed big flood and Lepchas took refuse in Tendong hill. Thus they were saved from drowning and it is believed that from this time people from drowning and it is believed that from this time people started this ceremony of worshipping the Tendong Hills.

Other Festivals



Kanchan-chen-dzod-nga Festival / Singhi Dance: The two-day festival of dance performed during the worship of snowy range of Kanchanjunga (Khang-chen-dzod-nga) is a dance peculiar to Sikkim alone. It is celebrated in September. The third Chogyal of Sikkim, Chador Namgyal (1686-1716) introduced this dance about two and a half centuries ago as a result of a vision.

Kanchanjunga is about 40 km. From Gangtok and is the most unifying force in the myth and identity of the state. Khang-chen-dzod-nga means the five treasures represented by five summits of this gigantic mountain. According to tradition the five treasures are salt, precious stones, religious scripts, medicines and grains and invincible Armour. Sikkimese believe that their prosperity and even their lives depend on the good humour of the deity, for he has the power to destroy human habitations with devastating floods and avalanches, wash away their bridges and ruin their crops by sending terrible hail storms down the valleys. Kanchendzonga is portrayed as a fiery red - countenanced deity with a crown of five skulls, riding the mythical snow lion and holding aloft the banner of victory. Esoteric masks, flashing silks, opulent brocades and embroidered boots are the costumes of the dancers. This mask dance is termed as Singhi Dance i.e., Lion Dance by Nepalese. They visualize the ferocious god of Kanchanjunga riding over a lion and hence call this dance as Singhi Dance.

Kagyed Dance: It is performed on the 28th and 29th day of the 10th month of the Tibetan Calendar, around December. This dance is performed symbolizing the destruction of the evil forces and hoping for peace and prosperity to flourish in every Sikkimese home. The dancers of this is extremely popular Chaam are always monks who are accompanied liturgical music and chanting. The solemn nature of the dance is interspersed with comic relief provided by the jesters. Kagyed dances enact various themes from the Buddhist mythology and culminate with the burning of effigies made of flour, wood and paper.

Kalchakra Puja: A mention of the two bodies of Buddhism, Hinayana and Mahayana has been made at the beginning of this chapter. To attain Nirvana or Enlightenment and freedom from suffering one of the paths offered is Tantrayana which emphasizes the Tantric or mystic aspect of Buddhism involving complex and esoteric rituals.


Internationa Flower Festival: - The International Flower Festival is celebrated in Sikkim. It’s a rare show of exotic varieties of flowers, orchids and other plants native to Sikkim, a noth east state. Held every summer during the peak flowering season, this is a spectacular event attrcting people from all over India.
The tiny state of Sikkim, famous for its flora which is in full bloom during March-May has around 600 species of orchids, 240 species of trees and ferns, 150 varieties of gladioli, 46 types of rhododendrons along with a variety of magnolias and many other foliage plants. The main displays in the flower show are orchids, gladioli, roses, cacti, alpine plants, creepers, climbers, ferns, herbs etc. Experts in the various fields hold seminars and lectures.

A food festival with Sikkimese delicacies is organized during the show. River rafting and Yak Safari are added attractions.

Teesta Tea & Tourism Festival: Held in a series at Darjeeling, the Dooars and in Sikkim, the Teesta Tea & Tourism Festival is celebrated with a view to promote tourism in this region as a composite tourist destination, with its bounties in tea, timber and tourism. The festival is held every year in November - December.

Christians and Muslims also celebrate Christian Festivals and Muslim Festivals in Sikkim. All are free to celebrate their own festival. No such restrictions are there. People of Sikkim believe in togetherness……….. They leave together happily

These all are the famous fairs and festival of Sikkim and it is very much unique that everybody enjoy from the heart……………………..

Thanking You

Rinzing Lama


Advertisement



3rd July 2007

good work
a sincere attempt has been made by the author to highlight the different festivals of sikkim ,which is very interesting and informative. The account of both hindu/buddist festivals deserves appreciation. GOOD WORK REENZINC....
4th July 2007

Good Work
it shows howmuch u love ur state. if possible write an item on the rural life of sikkim

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb