The Way to Yumthang Valley and Gurudongmar Lake...............


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hie guys I am back again with my new blog……………this time I would like to cover North Sikkim. North Sikkim is really unbelievable for those who love nature………..It has everything to offer, what a naturalist wants. A land - where heaven touches the earth, the ambience creates mystery, landscape dominated by elements, silence can be heard, vision tends to travel beyond the horizon, soul starts meditating- unknowingly, mind gets rejuvenated; and a land that makes you bow. The north districts are perhaps the most beautiful part of Sikkim. With its natural and Alpine scenery North Sikkim offers a sense of paradise. In North Sikkim two places are very popular.

They are: -
1. Yumthang Valley: "Popularly known as Switzerland of India and Valley of Flowers".

2. Gurudongmar Lake: "Lake unexplored, just fantastic".



The way to Yumthang



Yumthang is about 140 kms away from Gangtok at an altitude of 11,800 ft. in north Sikkim. While going Yumthang we cross through many interesting places and waterfalls. These places really blow your mind once.


Some of the interesting places you cross through are: -

1. Kabi Lungtsok: - Kabi Lungtsok is a historical place, which is just 17 kms from our capital, Gangtok on the North Sikkim highway. This is the place where the historic treaty of blood brotherhood between Lepcha and Bhutia (well known communities of Sikkim) chief was signed ritually The spot were the ceremony took place is marked by the memorial stone pillar amidst the cover of dense forest.

2. Phensong Monastery: - Phensong Monastery is situated in between Kabi to Phodong (name of the place) with one of the best landscapes in the region. It was built in 1721 under the Nyingmapa Buddhist order. During the time of Jigme Pawo. The festival of Chaam (mask dance) is performed on 28th and 29th day of tenth month of lunar calendar (Tibetan calendar).


3. Phodong Monastery: - Phodong Monastery is one of the six major monasteries in Sikkim and is located in the North. Only 38 kms from Gangtok. 4 kms beyond Phodong is the recently renovated Labrang Monastery, which is unique in its architectural design. One must visits this monastery.

4. Mangan: - Mangan is the district headquarters of North Sikkim, a place of stunning beauty. Mangan in Sikkim is the main administration and market centre for north Sikkim, where the local people sell their apples, oranges and cardamom. Dzongu is a forested region fed by two important rivers, the Teesta and Tolung, in the shadow of Mt Kanchenjunga and the icy castle of Mt Siniolchu, considered to be world's most beautiful peak. The antique Tolung Monastery in Mangan can be reached through thick jungle and steep hillsides. The Tolung Monastery in Mangan is a repository of Sikkim's displays - horse saddles, old thankas and thigh bone trumpets.

5. Singhik: - The place offers one of the most spectacular and closest views of Mt. Kanchendzonga and its ranges. One can also savor the most graceful peak in the world Mount Siniolchu. The area also has a number of interesting short nature trails for 1 to 3 days along the higher ridges of the surrounding hills.

6. Chungthang: - Chungthang is located a distance of 95 kilometers from the capital Gangtok, at an elevation of 1,700 meters (5,600 ft). Chungthang is the place where Lachen and Lachung chu (river) joins together and also the starting point of River Teesta, has emerged as a major sub division in North Sikkim. Chungthang is the nodal junction for two passes; they are Lachung (for Yumthang Valley) and Lachen (for Gurudongmar Lake). The valley is believed to have been blessed by Guru Rimpoche and one can visit the Holy Jhedo to see the foot and palm prints left behind by the Patron Saint. This place is rich in bio-diversity with a large variety of orchids, plants and wildlife, is 95 kms from Gangtok, 23 kms from Lachung, 29 kms from Lachen and is predominantly a Lepcha region.

Lachung: - A halting place, while you go to Yumthang. One has to halt for one night. A Bhutia village with a unique local self-governing body called Zumsa” which substitutes the Panchayat. Lachung has emerged as a tourist destination with the soaring popularity of Yumthang Valley, spread out on both sides of Lachung River, has managed to retain its unique culture and traditions. One can also taste “Chang” (local beer). The Lachung Monastery on the slope opposite to the highway a focal point of all religious function of the local inhabitants.

Yumthang: - Yumthang is popularly known as Switzerland of Sikkim or Valley of flower. Yumthang at an elevation of 11,800 ft. and 140 kms from Gangtok is a paradise for natural lovers with a fascinating blend of flora and fauna and breath taking scenic grandeur. In winter it is all covered with snow and in spring and summer, it is covered with different types of flower, in all manner it just looks like a heaven.

On the way to Yumthang you find 38 varieties of Rhododendrons on both side with different colors. It’s really a beautiful experience. On the way to Yumthang ‘Tsa-Chu’ or the hot spring of the left bank of Lachung Chu (River) is immensely popular for its curative properties and healing power. Many tourists come here and take a bath. In Lachung Chu you will find a special fish called Golden taught.

Number of Local, Domestic and Foreign tourists come here every year and view the breath taking beauty of this area. Japanese come here just for one flower called Blue Puppy. The valley is also the home of Shingbha Rhododendron Sanctuary, with 24 species of Rhododendrons. There are total 35 species of Rhododendron in the world and 24 species of Rhododendron are found in Sikkim, together in one place “Yumthang”.

From Yumthang there is a place called Lakaun, where trekking and training are conducted for Himalayan Mountaineers. Ghaukhao is the main source of river Teesta. For both Foreign and Domestic tourists the registered Travel Agents organizes the tours of Yumthang. Depending upon ones convenience and they can either obtain for 3 days / 2 nights package or 2 days/1 night package. Every tourist has to obtain a pass to go to Yumthang but Travel Agent will do it for you. No problem at all. He will run to get pass for you.

Well-known itinerary of Yumthang:

3 Days / 2 Nights
Day 1: Gangtok-Lachung.
Day 2: Lachung-Yumthang-Lachung-Katau(optional).
Day3: Lachung-Gangtok.

2 Days / 1 night
Day 1: Gangtok-Lachung.
Day 2: Lachung-Yumthang-Gangtok.


Katau: - Katau is also a very interesting place for those, who are fond of snow. There is a two way in Lachung from one side it reaches Yumthang and from one side it reaches Katau (The border of Thankala) border of India and China. Dumang by foot we reach Khorala and from border to border one can reach Nathula Border.

Yumesamdong: - Yumesamdong is just 15Kms. from Yumthang. An hour drive beyond Yumthang through the rugged mountain road takes you to Yumesamdong (15300 ft.), an area where the sweet fragrance of Azalea permeates the air. Heady, invigorating and exhilarating, but words still to fail to explain the experience of being at Yumesamdong.



The Way to Gurudongmar


No visit to North Sikkim is complete without to visit to Gurudongmar Lake. Guru dongmar Lake is about 17100 ft. Very different and worth visiting place. The blessed water of this lake is believed to posses the miraculous power of granting children to issueless couple. While going this place one have to pass through many interesting falls and places like Kabi Lungtsok, Phensong, Phodong, Singhik, Chungthang (all places are mentioned above). As I have already mentioned Chungthang is the nodal junction to go Lachen and Lachung. To go Gurudongmar, one has to go through Lachen.

Lachen: - Lachen is situated at an altitude of 8,838 ft and about 6 hours drive from Gangtok. The Lachen Monastery located on a top of the village commands a panoramic view of the surrounding hills and countryside. Lachen stand on a grassy and bush flat from the periphery of which raises the pine clad mountains with their snowy peaks and black cliffs. The village comprises of barley 150 houses earlier inhabitant only in winters by there owner who spend the summer on the alpine pasture along the Tibet border tending to there flock of yaks. Resorts, Hotels and Lodges are available for accommodation.

Thangu: - Thangu is at an altitude of 14,000 ft. and 30 kms drive from Lachen. A small village where the visitors usually acclimatize before they proceed to Gurudongmar Lake. The months of May and June see this valley carpeted with alpine flowers, which are replaced by snow from October through March.

Gurudongmar Lake: - is considered as one of the sacred lake of this state both by the Buddhists and Hindus. The lake remains milky in color through out and it is believed that Guru Padmasambhava (Buddhist guru) had touched the lake whilst he visited Tibet from this area.
The Gurudongmar Lake is only allowed to Local and Domestic Tourist. Foreign Tourists are not allowed due to border area reason. To go to this place one has to make permit. Photography is not allowed in this sacred place.

Well-known itinerary of North Sikkim

Day 1 : Tour stars with your arrival at Siliguri (NJP/Bagdogra). Transfer to Gangtok (125 kms.) and check in at hotel. Day at leisure. Overnight at Gangtok.

Day 2 : Drive to Lachung (126 kms., 8610 ft) after breakfast. En-route visit at Tashi View Point, Kabi Lungtsok (historical site), Naga Waterfalls, Confluence of Lacnen Chu and Lachung Chu at Chunthang, Bhim Nala Waterfall and Holy Rock at Chungthang. Lunch at Phodong/Mangan. Over night halt and dinner at Lachung.

Day 3: Drive to Yumthang and Yumesamdong after early breakfast (40 kms., 11800 ft). Free time to enjoy the lush green alpine valley covered with colourful rhododendron forests encircled by high snow caped mountains. Take a dip in the hot spring rich in Sulphur. Back to Lachung for lunch. Drive to Lachen (8800 ft) via Chungthang (40Kms), another quiet and picturesque hamlet on the higher Himalayas famous for its proximity to the Kunchanjungha National park, Green Lake and Gurudongmar Lake. Transfer to hotel at Lachen. Overnight at Lachen.

Day 4: Visit to the Lachen Monastery in the afternoon. Drive to Thangu ( 32Kms from Lachen) after breakfast. Situated at an altitude of 13000ft Thangu is a recent host in North Sikkim Travel Map . The journey to Thangu follows the fascinating roads winding upwards cutting across the dense coniferous mountains, lush green alpine meadows and vast river valleys. Transfer to hotel at Thangu (basic accommodation). Visit Chopta valley. Overnight at Thangu.

Day 5: Drive early towards Gurudongmar Lake (17100 ft., 31kms., only Indian National are allowed). Gurudongmar is one of the highest situated lakes in North Sikkim. Remember the altitude here may cause breathing problem. Move slowly towards the pristine lake and watch it motionlessly. Offer prayers to the small temple near the lake and get back to your car. Return to Lachen in the evening. Overnight at Lachen.

Day 6: Drive to Gangtok after breakfast (156 kms), lunch on the way. Reach Gangtok in the evening. Farewell and tour concludes.


Hope you all liked it.............. I need some suggestions and comments..... Please do send me.......................

Thanking You

Rinzing Lama

Some important Sikkim links are..........
www.sikkim.gov.in
www.sikkiminfo.net
www.sikkim.nic.in



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb