Smelly Delhi and Delhi belly.....


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well I guess by my tittle you know that we are in Delhi once again!

On our way Down from Rishikesh we spent a couple nights in Haridwar. Its one of India's most Holy cities and that was obvious the second we arrived there. We took a cab from Rishikesh and driving along the road entering the city we got our first glimpse of the Ghats. They went on forever and were packed with devote Hindus.

We were dropped off near the train station and thought that in preparation for our early morning train 2 days later we would find a hotel close by. Across the street and up an ally was good enough for us and we dropped our gear off and went out to explore. The markets here are filled with religious paraphenalia and knock off western brand clothing made in Asia.

The second night we walked down to the Ghats for the fire Puja that goes on every night. The place was swarming with people and by the looks of things mostly pilgrims. We eventually found somewhere to sit on the pavement just across the water from the main temple and waited the 2 hours for it to start. We were surrounded by the most friendly and beautiful people i think we have met on our trip. They made the wait easy. When the ceremony started the sun was just setting and the large towers of flames held by the priests were lit. It was breath taking. The power and feeling given off by all the devotees was overwhelming and brought tears to both our eyes. everyone in the crowd sang along with the sacred chants and at the end let little leaf boats filled with flowers and a candle go down the river as an offering to the Gods. So powerful.

And now we have made it to Delhi with the 46 degree heat, smelly streets with persistent beggars. Both of us are still only eating very plain food and hoping that our bodies recover a little bit before the journey home in just over a weeks time eeekk!! We will have to get back to our shopping and quite possibly our splurge of a room with AC and a tv....



Advertisement



21st May 2007

home?
Do you mean home home? Or england first then home? I can't WAIT to see some pictures....how are you guys? Do you feel ok even though you can't eat much? Write to me soon! BYE Chelsea

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb