Back to being a tourist


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
March 7th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Back in Delhi we are reunited with the 'West' team who have their own set of incredible experiences and stories to tell. The morning is spent reviewing the visit, comparing thoughts and reflections, sharing feedback. I now feel like the trip itself is over. I have seen what I came here to see, a small sample of life in one of the poorest parts of India, and now I want to go home. It's been physically tiring and emotionally draining, a rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Instead, there is another day and a half of shopping and sight-seeing before Friday's flight back to London. It is very easy though, to slip back into tourist mode. Most of the group depart to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal this afternoon, returning tomorrow. Having seen that wonder of the world before, on balance I feel it is not quite worth the ten hours in a bus to see it again, and besides there is plenty to see in Delhi, whilst we are here. So I join Chetna, Mike and Alex to see a bit of Delhi.

I would highly recommend a visit to Akshardam temple, where we spent the afternoon, a newly built Hindu temple of incredible beauty and architecturally just as impressive as the Taj Mahal, although without the history. Unfortunately, they don't allow cameras inside the complex. Don't bother with the Disney-style boat ride though! Later on some bargain shopping in the underground market at Connaught Place, and then some dinner and a much-needed beer.

Thursday 8 March
Another day of tourism. This time we visit the Red Fort, a large complex of grand buildings and gardens in red stone and white marble. Full of tourists and postcard-sellers. Chetna decides to join the Indian queue and gets in for 11 rupees! Foreigners pay R100.
After that a local market-place, very crowded and noisy with people selling all manner of things, we have to weave in and out past scooters, cycle-rickshaws and passers-by.
Then, having had enough of sight-seeing, we spend the afternoon at the races - this is a far cry from Ascot though, the place is slightly run-down and there are no other Westerners in sight, and very few women. My horse was hopeless, but then I only put 50 rupees on (less than 50p) so I don't mind.

The others return in the early evening and we all go to a Chinese restaurant for out last night in India.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb