No Delhi Belly Yet


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi » Karol Bagh
January 7th 2012
Published: January 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had a good flight on Kingfisher Airlines including on demand English movies granted they were older movies but it kept us entertained for the 6 hour flight from Hong Kong to Delhi. We exited the airport and got into a cab as we knew it was supposed to be about 400-600 rupees. Once the driver quoted the rate of 785 rupees we knew it was too much and hopped out and found the pre pay police stall which we were quoted 400 rupees. It was around 12:30am and the driver didn’t seem to be sure of exactly where our hotel was but knew the Karol Bagh metro station it was near. I had the sense that he wanted to drop us at the metro but I wasn’t about to have that as it seemed to be quite a shady area. He found 2 guys on the street corner and they directed us to the correct street and I found the hotel (Hotel Perfect). We had quite a large room and enjoyed 2 nights in Delhi. The first day I was a little hesitant of going out on our own in this massive city which lived up to the dirtiness I was expecting of India.

Our 1st impressions of Delhi: lots of stray dogs, dirt EVERYWHERE no people cleaning every imaginable sight like in China, not as many cows as I expected many slums and beggars. I hope the rest of India will be different than Delhi.

We expected the population of China and the dirtiness of Vietnam and Cambodia to prepare us for our experience in India. But I think India is still not a place I would recommend if you haven’t traveled in such an area. Our group was maximum of 16 people through Intrepid Travel but only 5 of us are in the group; a couple from LA, now living in Brooklyn who is on their honeymoon named Lauren and Keisha, an Australian lady in her late 40s traveling alone named Caroline and us. Our guide is a native to India and is named Dinish.

Sites visited in Delhi:

Humayun’s Tomb-built before Taj Majal and the only garden tomb in Delhi

Lotus Temple- Bahai Religion

Old Dehli City Walk: Jama Masjid Mosque biggest in India & Sish Ganj Sikh Temple

Red Fort

We have a 19 hour train ride from Delhi to Jaisalmer. I am not scared about the length of journey because we have ridden many long train rides in Asia, but I am sure India will be different.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb