Tested, Verified. OK!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Pune » Parvati Hill
April 1st 2012
Published: April 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Even before I knew, the quest to mend my health had begun. I was already searching the web, talking to friends about getting back into form. Building the stamina to walk the miles in Himalyn ranges is not fool’s play. It needs meticulous & persistent efforts. You simply need to push your limits.

I was planning my diet regime & training schedule. When I realized, that universe was still conspiring to help me achieve what I wanted. My trekking buddies were planning for a rigorous moonlight trek from Katraj to Sinhgad. This trek involves a hike across 15 to 16 hills for roughly 12 – 14 kms. The experience of trekking this terrain twice was telling me that this will be the best way to check my capabilities.

This trek is bench mark for every trekker, in and around Pune. It is an experience of life time, which involves great physical and mental strength. Many have said to trek here as a part of their training programs for Himalayn Expeditions. Once you cross first two hills, there is no way option to come back. The most important part is, this is where you experience total isolation from city, though its view keeps you company through out... For the entire route, one would not find any third person; it’s only you and your trek-mate.

This route being so isolated, you need to carry enough water, food, first aid and emergency safety gear. So there it was, a backpack weighing around 8kgs which included about 4 liters of water. I was only getting stronger in mind to achieve this.

We gathered at Katraj Snake Park and took a local transport bus to the tunnel. The trek begins atop the tunnel. We started walking at about 11 in night from the Waghjai Temple. The first two hills - Vrindavan and Gokul are the ones which test your will to complete this. After these two hills there is no turning back. All you can do is, hold on to yourself looking at the blinking red light of TV tower on Sinhgad and keep walking.

The hike is as good as journey of one’s life, going up and down. However, soil corrosion is killing mother earth! It’s only March end, and the plants already seemed dry and soil looked cracked. This was not a pleasant view on a cool night.
Common Wolf SnakeCommon Wolf SnakeCommon Wolf Snake

The rightful resident of the terrain

The group consisted many first time hikers. Hats off to their enthusiasm! Another trekking buddy was here to prepare himself for Mount Everest Base Camp. The most inspiring was another trekking buddy who participates in Marathon all over the country. He had recently completed this trek in less than 8 hours and that too during day time.

The walk continued with several breaks. The water bottles were emptied and the backpack was getting lighter only technically. One has to be careful about not harming the nature, yet the rightful residents of the terrain like serpents and scorpions may make their appearance occasionally.

The second last hill is known as one tree point. The single tree atop the hill marks it territory. If the pace is right, by sunrise you should be beyond this hill.

You may choose to climb the last hill or traverse and reach the tar road. We had arranged for local transport from the junction to the city.

This achievement restored my confidence and faith and now I can definitely say, Tested, Verified, OK!





For Statistical purposes & records: The highest altitude touched was 1180 Mtrs and lowest was 815 Mtr. Minimum temperatures recorded was 20 C. And total distance covered was close to 12 Kms. (These are approximate values)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb