Nasik


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Nashik
November 11th 2011
Published: November 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Nasik 1st to 4th November


We were really quite sad to leave Goa and the few friends we had made there. Brendan (from London) was a really nice chap and was the font of all knowledge about the place. He had been there a couple of times already and was being joined by his son later in the week. He had already booked to go back again in spring. Anthy's turned out to be a real gem of a place and the staff were so nice. We spent loads of time chatting the waiters, Raj and Mishal who were Nepalese and even the chef came out after work for a chat on our last evening.( We won't miss old Mr Benidorm and his many coloured thongs though...... not a great look that Borat!!!!)
Got to the airport at 6am to find that the flight to Mumbai that we thought we had booked for 7.35 had been moved to 6.40am!!! Luckily we were there by the skin of our teeth. The Mumbai to Nasik train was on time(well it did start there) but on first (and second and third) sight, Nasik itself was a dump. We took a ride up to the Ramkund which is the tank on the holy river where thousands of pilgrims come to bathe. It was quite interesting and so too was the market around it and saw our first kids flying paper kites there. Hotel Rama heritage was OK but there was nothing around there to do or see and the food everywhere we went was rubbish!!
However all was redeemed on Thursday when we took a taxi to the local cave temples and the lovely Buddhist temple nearby., We then had a an abortive trip across country to a special temple which was heaving and was for Hindhus only. I think they were going to let us in to the inner sanctum but there were so many people queing that we would have been there for hours so we left.
Things improved again when we took a wine tasting tour of the Sula Vineyards, the biggest in India. Owned by an Indian but using an American and Indian blenders the wine was Very Good!! HONESTLY!! Look out for it if you see it in the supermarkets in UK. The Voigner, Blush and sparklings would stand up well to most young wines you can buy. ......Well we thought so, but forced abstinence from vino for 6 weeks might have coloured our judgement ...... but I don't think so.
We move on to Aurangabad on Friday but quite frankly with quite a bit of trepidation. We suspect it will be another dirty, noisy, polluted BIG city and we have ended up with 4 days there. Let's hope the caves of Ellora and Ajanta make it worth the while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Market stallMarket stall
Market stall

Near the temple we didn't go in!!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb